+ Reply to Thread

Default Remove mastic from hardwood floor

I decided to replace some ceramic tile in an entrance way and discovered that the tile was placed directly over a red oak, hard wood floor. The house is 40 years old and I am certain this is the original application. My question is regarding the best method to remove glue of this vintage from the wood. I may just leave the hard wood versus putting new tile over top.

Thanks

Default Re: Remove mastic from hardwood floor

Since hardwoods makes a terrible substrate for tile, you'll want to remove it or add 3/4" plywood over the top. Since you are going to have thickness issues, removing the hardwoods may be your best option at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    Since hardwoods makes a terrible substrate for tile, you'll want to remove it or add 3/4" plywood over the top. Since you are going to have thickness issues, removing the hardwoods may be your best option at this point.
    Please read the questions before answering. The home owner asked about removing the mastic or whatever it is that held the old ceramic in place so the original flooring could be refinished. It was the title of the topic too.

Talksep, we need more information on what the "mastic" actually is. Is it an adhesive? Cement mixture of some sort?

You might do better asking a bunch of flooring professionals at The Floor Pro Community. Explain in detail what you have and I guarantee you several pros will help you out in short order.

Jim

I may just leave the hard wood versus putting new tile over top.
    I understand this to mean the first preference is tile, then hardwoods.