+ Reply to Thread
    I live in a small town in southwestern Missouri.

Default New Old Homeowners!

My husband and I purchased an 80 year old Dutch colonial revival in December. Due to some structural issues and its age, we got it for $50K! We're quite happy with it so far, although it has it's little quirks.

My first "remodeling" project was to paint the kitchen walls and cabinets. I am waiting on some cabinet hardware, so some of my shelves don't have fronts at the moment, but this simple makeover turned our ghastly, cheap looking kitchen into a bright, cheerful, and fun room!

Now it's time to move on to the rest of the rooms. Our biggest challenge will be the curtains for our NINETEEN windows. My sister is quite crafty and has offered to sew them, so we need to go buy material. Lots and lots of material ... o_O

I'm brand new to the homeowner/remodeling business, so any advice, comments, etc. will be very welcome!

BeccaAnn

I became insane, after long periods of horrible sanity. ~E.A. Poe

Default Re: New Old Homeowners!

That's such a cute little home. You can't complain about too many windows...well as long as they are sealed up. Every little window can paint a portrait on the wall to the outside of a character filled inside.

Wink Re: New Old Homeowners!

Hi Becca, congrats on your house? Where in SW Missouri are you? I'm in springfield and just went under contract on my first Old house, yesterday. go check out my post on House Styles, I don't know what kind of house mine is.

What a beautiful looking house! Best of luck in your new home!

The large # of windows might let some cold air in during the winter months if they're single pane; perhaps your sister could also make some insulated quilt-type curtains if you have single-pane windows.

Blown-in exterior wall insulation can greatly improve warmth & winter comfort if there is no insulation in there now---it's low-cost & works wonders.

"All my best friends are buried alive in the cemetery---we commiserate together nightly over the living"

----Poe

If those windows are single pane glass with or without storms, consider the use of insulated interior shutters instead of curtains. They can really reduce heat loss through the windows at night, open them in the day to enjoy the solar heat gain.

Use 1x1 wood to make the frames. Cover the faces with a foil backed paperboard so that the foil surfaces face each other. A 3/4" dead air space between two foil surfaces is worth about an R-3. The outside surfaces can be painted or covered with wall paper or cloth. Install hinges and then weatherstrip the edges. The dead air space between the glass and the shutter will add another R-1 and if you have storms outside that, you get almost another R-1. So you end up with a total of R-4 to R-5.

You can also put a reflective tint film on the inside of your window glass to add almost another R-1, but it will mostly help in the summer.

Credit to "From the Walls In" by Charles Wing. Great book for owners of old houses, but no longer in publication. It can be found used on the web at the usual places.
    Last edited by keith3267; 08-29-2012 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Add credits

Beautiful home as it sits and what a steal!! we just purchased a new home as well and in the same boat! got it for cheap but its need lots of updating!! lots of luck.