+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

I live in a small town in southwestern Missouri.

Default Blah exterior - I need some inspiration!

My husband and I just purchased this 80 year old Dutch colonial revival in December. While it looks great for its age, I think the outside could use a makeover!

Basically, I'm new to this remodeling business and would LOVE for some of you more experienced/more creative folks to tell me what you think!
    I became insane, after long periods of horrible sanity. ~E.A. Poe

Default Re: Blah exterior - I need some inspiration!

Some ideas - but I am no expert...

A railing around the front porch.
    A new front door with an impressive decorative glass window.
    Planters with tall skinny shrub on either side of the door.
    The shutters look too skinny for the windows... maybe replace with wider shutters.

I would also hire a landscaper to see if they can give ideas for your landscaping.

Good luck.

the first thing i notice is the white on white. you should paint the siding a darker color so the window trim will jump out at you more
    fire up the saw and make some dust

There are some great ideas here already; you might also want to submit some pics to the magazine's Photoshop Redo column by emailing redo@thisoldhouse.com. If your house is selected to run in the magazine, you get professional suggestions from an architect, with a Photoshop rendering to show what it would look like.

I agree with the above posters.

I was wondering if there was anything typical for the age of your house in your area? I grew up in Michigan and so many of the houses seemed to have a lilac bush on the side of their houses - as an example. Perhaps a modern interpretation of a traditional practice?

I really think a useable front porch would be attractive, somewhere to sit and enjoy the view and have a welcoming feel. The railing would help that. I also strongly agree with the comments regarding color - that responsed helped me, too, as I have the same concern with my house.

Get some opinions fron the pros: architects and landscape designers. Look up books and magazines that deal with exterior looks. They have good ideas you could use.
    good luck.