+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anode Rod

Question Anode Rod

I have a Richmond 50 gallon water heater. I need to remove the anode rod. I don't see a nut on the top of the water heater.

Does any one know where it is located on this style?

Default Re: Anode Rod

There were some that had the anode rod as part of the nipple on the hot water side. Unfortunately you have to disconnect the water line to replace it. I haven't like that for some time. How old is the heater? This may be a good time to replace it.

John

It is only a couple of months old. I had a million other things on my mind so I didn't think of looking for it and it probably didn't cross my mind because I didn't see the anode nut on top. Now we are getting the bad sulfur/rotten egg smell. I looked over my water heater and was then confused.

I've got a 7-year-old Bradford White water heater that has the anode rod attached to the hot nipple. I checked it a couple of months ago and it's about half gone. It's quite possible that's where yours is.

It seems unlikely that the anode rod would be shot after just two months. There might be other problems. Have you tried installing a charcoal filter in the supply? Some people find that helps the sulfur problem.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

The anode rod needs to come out because I have a water softener. It has just taken awhile for the smell to come throught. I had a million other things breaking at the same time the water heater went bad. I thought about removing it but completely forgot until the smell came. We do have a filter and it does help. It was just changed because I thought the fileter was bad, but then I noticed only the hot water smelled then the light bulb came on.

I just back the nipple off with a pipe wrench and their it its?

A charcoal filter will make the smell worse. Doesn't make sense, but BTDT.

The odor can be removed by some simple chemistry; After draining some water from the tank, pour a few cups of bleach into the top of the tank through the hot water outlet. Let that set a spell. Flush the tank. The odor should be gone.

I have a few clients who have vacation houses they rarely visit. Since the HWH sets unused for long periods, the tanks develop that odor. City or well water doesn't matter.

Read this article before removing the anode.

http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/pag...r-heaters.html
    "Lead by Example"

For some reason my anode rod was buried under a plastic cap under the cap was the foam insulation. Then their was the anode. I actually called the store and the display had the nut on the top.