Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Default Re: Build your own cabinets

Just goes to show how a sense of humor can carry you through (going on 3 years now and Walt still isn't finished with those cabinets ... ) .

Hey...wait a minute. This last year does not count. Come on...new baby...new job...that has to count for something! The parasitic value of making your own blinds also fits in there somewhere. Plus I had so much beer to drink this year....I mean when could I get it all done?

If only I could get Spruce and GH to come over and get some of this stuff done for me. Man...I would be set for life!

Quote Originally Posted by waltdeckhouse View Post
    Hey...wait a minute. This last year does not count. Come on...new baby...new job...that has to count for something! The parasitic value of making your own blinds also fits in there somewhere. Plus I had so much beer to drink this year....I mean when could I get it all done?

If only I could get Spruce and GH to come over and get some of this stuff done for me. Man...I would be set for life!

That's a lot to slow down a remodel
    Debby in Oklahoma

You know our fee!

Does it start with "b" and rhyme with "ear"?

Why yes, yes it would.

And not that cheap store bought stuff either, you know how ****ie gets when you give him that!

GH or Spruce,

I was doing some finishing using the GH formula of 60%TO/40% OBP the other night and the wood soaked up almost all the finish in the first coating. I only waited about 10 minutes before wiping up the first treatment. Will this create any problems? The finish "seemed" dry enough the day after. Could it be the air is so dry...soaking up the thinner?

Also...what would you guys recommend for filling in woodpecker hole sin cedar siding? I replaced some boards last fall...but the freakin' bird is back. This time he got boards in the middle of the field...so replacing would be a royal PITA. I noticed the previous owner filled holes with what looks like water putty. Seems like it held up. Any thoughts? Anyone got a shotgun that shots woodpeckers??

Anyone got a shotgun that shots woodpeckers??
    12 or 20 guage? Have both.

Hey though, my brother lives in woodpecker country and he hung some CD's from the eaves to keep the little pests away. Tells me it works.

GH or Spruce,

I was doing some finishing using the GH formula of 60%TO/40% OBP the other night and the wood soaked up almost all the finish in the first coating. I only waited about 10 minutes before wiping up the first treatment. Will this create any problems? The finish "seemed" dry enough the day after. Could it be the air is so dry...soaking up the thinner?

Also...what would you guys recommend for filling in woodpecker hole sin cedar siding? I replaced some boards last fall...but the freakin' bird is back. This time he got boards in the middle of the field...so replacing would be a royal PITA. I noticed the previous owner filled holes with what looks like water putty. Seems like it held up. Any thoughts? Anyone got a shotgun that shots woodpeckers??
    My guess is that the wood is quite dry and absorbed the finish more than evaporation of the distillates. If you've got no pooling or weeping the following day, then continue with the finishing process as recommended way back when.

Water putty will probably do the trick quite nicely on that siding. It should closely match natural cedar and darken with age, don't know how it will hold up to the elements, however. Growing up on the ranch, we had problems with flickers and starlings. A 22 with bird shot is better, leaves smaller holes in your siding. Not that I'd know that from experience or anything.

Walt,

That can happen if the wood is really dry. You didn't mention what species but it really doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things. If you don't have any bleed-back within 24 hours.....proceed as per normal. If you do have some bleed-back, try wiping it off with some mineral spirits. If the MS doesn't cut it cause the material has dried too much........use a little lacquer thinner....judiciously....cause you don't really want to flood the surface with that and remove/strip the finish back out of the wood. Once the BB spots are removed, proceed as per normal.

Shotgun? In the SG department, I've got a .410, 20 and a couple 12s. But for a nuisance WP or such, I'd just use a pump-up pellet rifle. No real noise to arouse the neighbors, cheap ammo and only one little dot on the siding if you should miss. (Sight-in the gun first and then aim for dead center of the body at bizness time. Birds are mostly feathers, ya know. <G>)