+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Default Re: Build your own cabinets

Hi All!

Good luck to Moon and the awesome adventure ahead!

I hope everyone had a great holiday season. DW made me take two weeks off to go to Disney. Do you know what they charge for beer there? I was counting on beer to carry me through. I got by somehow.

I submitted my mess of a project to the TOH competition thingee. It probably will not get any attention...but I figured the trail is on the net..both on the TOH site and in pictures. I will be sure to give you all credit if they ask :0)

Anything new and exciting going on out there? DW has that look in her eye again. (No..not that look. "2 and we're through")She wants to extend the walls in the basement. The overhangs don't really work for this climate. THis one may include doing foundation work. Eeekkk!!! I guess I will have to learn yet more about house construction. At least the shop will gain some squre footage. why can't I be rich???

Quote Originally Posted by waltdeckhouse View Post
    why can't I be rich???
    Because then you'd just hire everything out and not have learned all that amazing stuff you've picked up over the years. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Good to see you again Walt. Looks like Dear Wife has your work cut out for you for a while.

Hi Spruce,

How are things? I have been laying low...and not getting anything accomplished. Not for lack of things to do....

I now have a year under my belt both with the new baby and the new job. All seems good so far. The old lab I worked out is spiraling out of money but they want to hire me as a consultant. Ha!! Not enough money to pay me...so now they pay even a higher rate. What irony

Have you noticed FWW and TOH are doing series on kitchen cabinets design? Man...I could have used that information about 3 years ago. On one TOH show I saw the cabinet guy was using those plastic legs on the island. I laughed when I saw that. Norm seemed to approve...but then again he is no ****hiller :0) Speaking of which .....

-W

Things are pretty good at the Sprucey house, can't complain. Like you, I've got a million projects that aren't getting themselves done. One in particular is half finished, and what a difference it's made. When this manufacture home was put on the property, the contractor poured the patio higher than the garage floor and sloped the patio towards the garage. Care to guess where all the water liked to go? Earlier this fall I cut a strip out of the patio along the garage door and wall, while I've not gotten around to installing the drain, the trough does keep the water out of the garage and directs it to the driveway drain where it belongs. Had a big wind storm here a few weeks ago that removed quite a few tabs off the house and garage roofs, so there's another spring project - reroofing the place. What are the odds that if I ignore it that it will take care of itself?

Glad to hear the job has stabilized. As for ****ie, he's around, but doesn't have the time to post as he used to.

Hey Sprucey,

I laughed when I read your post about the slab leading water into the garage. At our house the grading on the front yard leads right up to the front of the house. I really need to install a drain of some sort...but I need to tie that into the landscape upgrades. The amount of water that pools in front of the house is spectacular. Any wonder I have not had problems with water coming through the foundation walls.

I have sent out feelers on getting help desinging the landscaping. I found a nursery that offers a service that gives you a 10% credit on the purchases when you have them do the design work. A "real" design firm wants WAAAYYYY too much money. I really feel I am out of my league when it comes to locating landscaping features. So many houses nearby look like a photo shoot from a HomeDepot ad....which is not exactly the look I am going for.

Hey Sprucey,

I laughed when I read your post about the slab leading water into the garage. At our house the grading on the front yard leads right up to the front of the house. I really need to install a drain of some sort...but I need to tie that into the landscape upgrades. The amount of water that pools in front of the house is spectacular. Any wonder I have not had problems with water coming through the foundation walls.

I have sent out feelers on getting help desinging the landscaping. I found a nursery that offers a service that gives you a 10% credit on the purchases when you have them do the design work. A "real" design firm wants WAAAYYYY too much money. I really feel I am out of my league when it comes to locating landscaping features. So many houses nearby look like a photo shoot from a HomeDepot ad....which is not exactly the look I am going for.
    sometimes I have people comeing to me with pages out of magazines saying I want the doors to my cabinets to look like this and the bases looking like this other picture, and on and on. you ought to do kind of the same, see something that catches your eye and take a picture of it and incorporate it into your own. you sound like you have mastered virtually everything you have come against.
    Last edited by havanagranite; 01-22-2008 at 03:38 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by havanagranite View Post
    sometimes I have people comeing to me with pages out of magazines saying I want the doors to my cabinets to look like this and the bases looking like this other picture, and on and on. you out to do kind of the same, see something that catches your eye and take a picture of it and incorporate it into your own. you sound like you have mastered virtually everything you have come against.
    I agree with Havana, look through catalogs, magazines, and go on some open house tours to see what other folks are doing, then incorporate those elements you like into your own space. Landscaping isn't all that difficult, particularly with someone like you who does their homework before tackling a project. The two big things to keep in mind are to grade everything to drain away from the house and don't plant invasive materials or trees too close to the house.

Sorry to but in here but if you're looking for a look to try but not really ready to spend money on a design plan then how about purchasing bed kits from an ****** supplier like Becks http://brecks.com/Default.asp?bhcd2=1201036668 or Springhill Nursery http://springhillnursery.com/Default.asp?.

I noticed that Springhill has a zone specific item finder.

The kits are fairly inexpensive and what doesn't work is easily replaced with something else the next spring or fall.

I also like the garden designs that TOH has sent out in the last year. I'm not a fan of the yucca plants but the other colors and height combinations look great as well as the rain chains.

a note along the lines of the original post: I too am going to build new cabinets for my kitchen, office, bathrooms and studio. All I'm waiting on is the new table saw for my birthday in 2 weeks.
    Last edited by debbysewn; 01-22-2008 at 04:33 PM. Reason: adding a note
    Debby in Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by debbysewn View Post
    a note along the lines of the original post: I too am going to build new cabinets for my kitchen, office, bathrooms and studio. All I'm waiting on is the new table saw for my birthday in 2 weeks.
    When you get started, why not start a thread on the subject here? If you run into any problems we'd be more than happy to help, and we're always suckers for pictures of projects. If you haven't found it yet, take a look at Walt's thread on the old forum for tons of valuable info regarding everything it takes to build cabinets. Good luck and we look forward to seeing your project.

Walt's original thread
    http://boards.pathfinder.com/cgi-bin...L.2@.ef125b0/0

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    When you get started, why not start a thread on the subject here? If you run into any problems we'd be more than happy to help, and we're always suckers for pictures of projects. If you haven't found it yet, take a look at Walt's thread on the old forum for tons of valuable info regarding everything it takes to build cabinets. Good luck and we look forward to seeing your project.

Walt's original thread
    http://boards.pathfinder.com/cgi-bin...L.2@.ef125b0/0
    I certainly will post about my progress. I have read the post and I had some great chuckles over the advice to avoid doing it himself and just hire a cabinet maker, or go buy them. lol, I'm sure that a lot of people will tell me the same thing. I'm well equipped though. As a long time watcher of TOH and it's spin offs I'm equipped with plans and lots of experience in following them.
    Last edited by debbysewn; 01-22-2008 at 09:22 PM. Reason: typo
    Debby in Oklahoma