+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Default Re: Build your own cabinets

table looks really nice in the photos

maybe a rottenstone & oil rub after pumice and oil rub will fix the scratches? or some rubbing compound and polishing compound and a cloth wrapped block?
    Last edited by Blue RidgeParkway; 11-26-2008 at 01:20 AM.

Wax? Mostly because I am an idiot

The top has 6 coats of a varnish/tung oil/japan drier/spirits concoction(sp?). The wax was after rubbing that out with 0000 steel wool. The surface looks ok...just not great. I was hoping for better. I may try stripping off the wax (with alcohol?) and rubbing it out with 800 paper and then maybe something like pumice?? Then recoat the wax? Any thoughts?

I have said it before but I am 100% sold on General Finishes products available from Rockler. Yes they may be a little pricy but I figure so what, I want it to look right. They have self leveling wipe on products that work right out of the can.

It all started when I screwed up my very formal dining room table top while trying to remove 3M spray-on adhesive over-spray and ending up with very dull spots in the finish. I sanded with 400 and did three coats of wipe on ARM-R-SEAL. Done deal. It looked perfect.

ARM-R-SEAL is an oil and urethane top coat.

I also recently finished all my office work top table edge banding and a craftsman style desk support I made, with two coats of SEAL-A-CELL and three coats of ARM-R-SEAL.

It all looks like a factory sprayed finish.

The stuff is awesome, even in the hands of a sparky hack like me.

Oh, but hey, my current dining room table is this distressed plank number with breadboard ends and it gets a coat of paste wax a couple times a year.

Hey All,

Thought I would drop in to say "Hello".

Hello.

Just to update...work continues on the 3 tables....albeit at a slow pace. Some of the leg assemblies are coming out better than others but overall I am somewhat happy with it. I need to get that finished out so I can move on to other things. Sometimes I even amaze myself how slow I am

We are still gathering info/bids for the geo thermal thing. That has been a struggle. I have a buddy who does HVAC and I bribed him to come over for dinner. of course, I plan to pick his brain all night long. I may lose shop space to this new system....which might justify making a separate building for the shop :0)

-W

Quote Originally Posted by waltdeckhouse View Post
    I may lose shop space to this new system....which might justify making a separate building for the shop :0)

-W
    Nooooo, don't do it!!! A separate, dedicated, custom built space for a shop sucks!!!!

Good to see you again, Walt. We've had a few people talking about concrete counter tops in the last month or so and I've directed them here to you. Those that have come have been amazed.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Hi Spruce,

Glad to see you are still around.

I know....doesn't the idea of a dedicated WW space just totally stink?? I hate to even think about it

I am flattered ANYONE would find the concrete work I did cool. I have gotten used to comments like "Well it is almost as nice as granite" from the neighbors. Maybe I should start offering a concrete countertop service and see how much trouble I can get into doing that

Quote Originally Posted by waltdeckhouse View Post
    I know....doesn't the idea of a dedicated WW space just totally stink?? I hate to even think about it
    I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I had that! Half the fun of woodworking is trying to work around the car, stored goods, and the plethora of other projects that have been started and never finished. I too work in a garage and can barely get from one spot to another for all the projects and "stuff" that just gets dumped in there. Right now the lawnmower is taking up the workbench. Started that project before Christmas and between being sick and busy with other things, it still sits. The good news is that all I have left to do is install the drain plug and add oil and gas, the rest of the overhaul is completed.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Oh, stop your complaining. I have a friend who put up a 40 X 60 shop and probably has less room to move around in there than you do in your garage shop. Size doesn't matter it's how you use it.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Oh, stop your complaining. I have a friend who put up a 40 X 60 shop and probably has less room to move around in there than you do in your garage shop. Size doesn't matter it's how you use it.
    Jack
    My garage is only about 20' wide and 26' deep with a 16' roll up on the front, a man door on the side corner and a man door on the back corner. There is less than a 3' walkway that goes down one side of the work table and tablesaw, behind the table saw, where it connects with the walkway in front of the bench that runs from the side door to the back door. There is an even narrower walkway across the of the storage cabinets on the back wall. Too much stuff, too many projects, and not enough storage space. It doesn't help matters that the ceiling height is under 7'.

I'm not complaining, mind you ...

Sprucey's shop is crowded cause it's full of empty beer cases.