+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Default Re: Build your own cabinets

Looking good Walt.

Hard stuff....LOL!!! Hard stuff for me is something with a boat load of hops and ABV around 7%. :0)
    It's not hard until it's over 10%, then it's easy again because it's just wine. The pub has one on tap right now called Old Pappy, a 13% wheat wine that was partially aged in a whiskey barrel. You get a great nose of whiskey, yet none of the harsh flavor tones from it. Not something you should be nipping while out in the shop.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Let me ask for opinions on this: If you were making a hand railing that is going outdoors and exposed (not under an overhang) what would you make it out of? And would you put on any finish?

I have some scrap afr. mah....but then I thought that is too nice of a wood for that. Then I gave some thought to cedar...nice and soft, ages well, etc. No finish

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Quote Originally Posted by waltdeckhouse View Post
    Let me ask for opinions on this: If you were making a hand railing that is going outdoors and exposed (not under an overhang) what would you make it out of? And would you put on any finish?

I have some scrap afr. mah....but then I thought that is too nice of a wood for that. Then I gave some thought to cedar...nice and soft, ages well, etc. No finish

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
    douglas fir kiln dried. yes finish seal with marine epoxy then block UV with marine spar varnish or marine paint. cedar isn't strong enough for a handrail. iron or steel or for no maintenance stainless steel.

If you were making a hand railing that is going outdoors and exposed (not under an overhang) what would you make it out of? And would you put on any finish?
    ***.....that's a difficult question in some regards. Here's the answer - depends.

Would depend upon the wallet...whether or not it was to be primed & painted...etc.

If to be primed and painted and cost was a primary concern...most likely CCA. Hand-picked VERY tight-grained, quarter-sawn.... southern yellow pine. Would have to carefully pick over the stock at the lumberyard to find just the right pieces though...as it is reknown for twisting if the grain is not all it should be. Good luck finding any CCA these days. There are a couple yards around here that still stock some and are allowed to for agricultural/farm applications. Nonetheless, meeting the above criteria isn't as easy as it once was....not that it was *that easy* a few years back. Took alot of looking and picking. So...above criteria with ACQ or similar would be second choice. Treat all cut ends with Jasco preservative or similar with either of these.

If cost was not as great a concern...maybe ipe. Don't know how well it holds primer & paint cause I've never painted any. Walnut is a consideration. Very rot resistant if you avoid any sapwood. As usual, tight-grained is bestest. A true mahogany is definitely in there as a consideration, but it seems a waste or very extravagant to use it for a deck handrail. Renders images of the Vanderbilts. White oak is very rot resistant. Red is not. Don't use that. Doug-fir would be a decent choice *if* you can find some very tight-grained stuff. Treat the end-grain cuts, of course......and choose the stock very carefully. Holds primer & paint moderately well. Teak ($$$) would serve you well for the long haul, of course...if you can afford it and find it in the lengths/sizes you need. Milling it to a profile would be really hard on your cutters/knives. I doubt it holds paint very well. Too oily... which is why it is rot resistant. Actually, soft maple holds up very well to the weather....and is very affordable. (Avoid the sapwood, of course) Built the storms here from that 20 years ago and zero problems to date. Holds paint very well.

I'm sure there are other good choices, but the brain is fried. Long day.

Come to think of it....have a look at this FWIW. http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplrn/fplrn153.pdf

Keeping the "new" look on any of these woods with a clear finish or sealer will likely be an annual/semi-annual labor-intensive endeavor. Ugh. I wouldn't try it...personally. Too many other things beckon for attention and time.

Looks to me like you done well on the table edge. Curious - Did you have any trouble controlling the weight of the router with your rig?

Hey GH....thanks for sharing your thoughts. I will have to give the railing material more thought. I am putting in tow galv. piece of tubing for the posts. I am going to buy some commercial tube adapters and then connect them with wood. I agree with the idea of NOT going clear finish. I gotch way too many other things to worry about then refinishing that silly thing every year. I am considering filling the field between the post with some 1/2" rod...not sure yet.

Gotta run. will post more later

Regarding the jig for the router...I made the wings pretty long to put some mass on the table top. when i used it I was pushing hard against the pins towards the center...so I think that helped. I have another top to do....so I might add the dust shroud to it. It throws a lot of chips when cutting.

On the railing....would you put on some kind of oil finish...just to help keep water fron saturating the wood? I am thinking of adding some LED lights on the underside of the railing to light the stairs. Any thoughts on that?

On the railing....would you put on some kind of oil finish...just to help keep water fron saturating the wood? I am thinking of adding some LED lights on the underside of the railing to light the stairs. Any thoughts on that?
    You should definitely put some manner of penetrating sealer/water repellant on the wood. Which one depends upon what type of wood you decide to use. Even treated stock should have a sealer/repellant on it. Without that, the wood gets saturated when it rains and then dries out in the sun (as a rule). This leads to checking, splits and cupping. The more dimensionally stable you can keep it,the better. First and bestest step toward dimensional stability is keeping it from getting saturated.

If the painted look isn't desired, be aware that just a sealer/repellant won't really prevent the wood from going silver-ish..... eventually. Usually takes a few years to get there. If you can live with that........you're good to go. When it does go silver-ish...you can always pressure-wash it to bring it back to color, allow to dry for a week or so and then recoat.

Lights under railings can look real nice...depending upon the site and intent/desire of night-time appearance. Subjective call. LEDs for this? Don't know as I haven't tried any of those for this purpose yet.

in case any is curious...I attached some pics of the new table. I got swirls in the rub out...any advice how to get rid of them? I used 0000 steel wool and wax. put it on in circles...which maybe a mistake?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCP_4253.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	1852   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCP_4254.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	1853   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCP_4255.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	1854  

Walt, I have to ask.Why on earth did you use wax on a table top?
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Walt, I have to ask.Why on earth did you use wax on a table top?
    Jack
    'cause ****ie told him to ...
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!