+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Default Re: Build your own cabinets

I got rid of the Outback!!

Say what ???

Whatever will you do with all your free time now? Tsk, tsk. The Outback gave ya good reason to get out of the house and out to the garage. Shoulda thought it over better, buddy.

This weekend...cabinet doors!! Eeekkkk...can it be so??!! Finishing a 2 year project??

See? I told ya a long time ago that you didn't have to finish everything at once. It would wait. And......it has. You're still alive and there's no damage to your mortal soul.

Believe or not, most folks do it a step at a time, finish when/if they can........and live thru it all. You've done FAR, FAR better than the average Joe, Walt. You be a trooper, no doubt about it.

Should keep the 1 YO from pulling the whole mess onto himself.

Yikes! How time flies.

(On the other hand........I got a year younger. Not. )

Glad to hear more progress is being made on the cabinets. I'm surprised momma wasn't making you live in the Outback until you got them finished! LOL

Give my best to the wife and brood, and have a Happy Holiday season, should we not see you back for a while.

Oh...I'll be back (said with an Arnold tone) I can't be cutting wood without thinking of you fine folks.

I am sending my blades out to be sharpened. Thought I would take the plunge and send them to Forrest. Using back ups right now...but can't wait to see if my old blades can still cut like new.

Yeah....the Outback is gone...but my weekends are back!! GH has a good point.....the Outback was a good excuse to spin wrenches. But it was just wearing me out....and sucking away what little gumption I have left. I bought a Honda Element to replace it. So now I not only look goofy...but I drive a goofy looking car also Sort of a package deal.

The saga with the blinds continues. I made a couple blocks out of mahogony to hold the copper tubes that redirect the cables. Well I left the walls too thin and now a couple of them blew out the side. I guess there is more load tugging on those cables then I gave credit for. But the take up spools all seem to work (for the time being) and DW seems pretty happy to see outside light in the kitchen. Maybe I will make those block out of some aluminum or Delrin. Or maybe rotate the grain on the mahogony so the load does not pull out in the direction of the grain.....hhmmmmm.

Any who....looking forward to making some dust this weekend. I will keep updating as I screw things up.

-Walt

Come on, be honest, you only bought the Element so that you're wife would be embarrassed to be seen with you in it.

As always, I look forward to hearing about and seeing your projects, Walt. Guess we'll be seeing you about Monday afternoon, then, right?

Well I left the walls too thin and now a couple of them blew out the side. I guess there is more load tugging on those cables then I gave credit for.

Don't feel bad about that, Walt. We've all done similar. 90% of learning is a negative experience. Heck, the boys and girls over at NASA grossly underestimated how much damage a little piece of falling foam could do. Live and learn for all of us.

Thought I would take the plunge and send them to Forrest.

My, my. I can remember when, not so long ago, you were asking some basic woodworking questions.......and now....... you're sending your blades off to Forrest. <G> BTW.....good choice, me thinks. You'll know soon enough anyway.

The Element kinda looks like what the Ruskies and French drive. Dress accordingly. Little beret maybe? Big fur hat? If nothing else, it'll give you a reason to eat cheese and cabbage....and drink vodka and wine. Things could be worse. Just don't expect me to sit too close to ya after such a diet. Ain't happenin'.

PS- Friend of ours bought a Toyota Tundra last year. Loves the truck, not so much for the butterfly doors at this point. Finds them a hassle trying to load stuff in a parking lot. If you would sometime.... a little feedback on that feature from your perspective.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 11-28-2007 at 09:05 PM.

GH...I actually like the suicide doors. Open up both sides and the access is really convenient. Getting the 1 yo in the back is a breeze. We also have a HOnda van...with auto slide open doors so that one is pretty easy to deal with also. I like the Element because it is a little smaller, better on gas and you can get 4wd. It is a little odd looking...but with everything on the road looking the same these days I don't mind looking a little different. On the other hand....I cannot stand the Scion xb. Go figure.

Honda used to advertise you could wash out the inside of an element with a hose. They do not encourage that anymore....due to connectors shorting out. Hard to call that one, huh? They now tell you to use a leaf blower.

We did consider the Toyota FJ cruiser....but that car is little too tall, too much power, too expensive, too large wheels, etc when compared to the Element. The Element fits our life with 2 kids a bit better. While still giving me some manly dignity

And thanks for not berading (sp?) for the blinds. Those freakin' things keep going on and on and on. It really was a difficult thing to do in the beginning and I just made it tougher with all the little decisions along the way. I just keep repeating "think of all that you learned"

But maybe this weekend I can solve some easier problems and get some momentum going again. At least I don't have to change a CV joint or a alternator..... I like the creative stuff much betterer.

Hey...here is a question completely off topic. I have started redoing the front yard and would like the create an area right in front of the house that is void of plants. I was thinking of doing a field of rocks....but something about that seems boring. Maybe if i chose larger round stones with some kind of interesting border??? any ideas? I will take a pic and post this weekend. I guess there is always asphalt

Walt,

And thanks for not berading (sp?) for the blinds. Those freakin' things keep going on and on and on.

Berate you???? On the contrary, I truly admire you for taking on that kinda project/goal and for the tenacity to see it thru. Hats off to ya.....yet again. BTDT. Don't ask how many times. Economically advantageous? Probably not. Doesn't really mattter, IMO. It's what we learn...... and what we learn about ourselves along the way that matters and is of the greater/greatest value.

I have started redoing the front yard and would like the create an area right in front of the house that is void of plants. Any ideas?

Me thinks you're asking the wrong person.........at the moment anyway. Been a long while since I pondered landscaping stuff.

Does this mean you've been unsuccessful to date in getting grass to grow there?

Appreciate the feedback on the vehicle door thing. Have you found a beret yet? Cracker-Barrel sells cheese and wine, I think. Don't know for sure cause the nearest one of those to here is about a 2 1/2 hour drive........thank God.

(Just yankin' yer chain about the Element. <G> Hope it serves you well.)
    Last edited by goldhiller; 11-29-2007 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by waltdeckhouse View Post
    Hey...here is a question completely off topic. I have started redoing the front yard and would like the create an area right in front of the house that is void of plants. I was thinking of doing a field of rocks....but something about that seems boring. Maybe if i chose larger round stones with some kind of interesting border??? any ideas? I will take a pic and post this weekend. I guess there is always asphalt
    Post a pic of the area in question. I'm thinking a large fountain or statuary that is surrounded by decorative rock. Your mention of asphalt, could you incorporate a fountain or statuary in this area and make it part of a "drive around" driveway?

So you folks remember the backsplash issue? I left too large a gap between the countertop and the bottom of the tiles. Here is a pic. The huge caulk line looked terrible so I tore it out.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...t=DCP_3984.jpg

DW came up with this idea of putting little rocks on a backer board. looks ok but what a pain to clean

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...t=DCP_3985.jpg

I came up with this idea of taking some leftover stainless sheet from the blinds and folder it into a sideways "U". I guess I could fill in the gaps with caulk.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...t=DCP_3986.jpg

Any who....any comments or suggestions?

I put up some pics of the front of the house here

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ouse/outdoors/

You can see in the pics that there are windows along the lower front of the house. The right most let light into the shop area. I really do not want to block the sun light (the front of the house faces south) so that is why I want something low to the ground in front of the house. I am thinking of putting some tall plants out by the road to give some privacy to the front yard.

BTW GH...I never did give it an honest effort to grow grass in the front yard. DW does not like the idea of grass plus I am supposed to do some kind of landscaping to the front. I figured the grass would come after I decide the layout and deal with installing a tile drain in the front (rain piles up in front of the house) and changes in level on the sides. Why oh why could I not just buy a plastic house on a nice piece of flat level ground with no trees??? Actually I meant that as sarcastic but when I say it out loud it really does seem like a good idea

Hi guys--guess what? I will be starting a project like this myself this week...

Yeppers. Not going to be as elaborate as Walt-o's, but...I have the doors and drawers already--salvaged a butler's pantry from a century old Victorian, so all I need is the basic form and skins. I am planning on having my counter tops fairly tall (at least 40") because I am tall and I hate doing dishes over a short sink--no, I don't use a dishwasher, so...

Kitchen porch is housed in a goofy bump-out that needs to go, so I am actually decreasing the square footage and removing one of the two back doors. Already have the counter-tops picked out--not doing that pour-it-yerself stuff! I am using three oak raised panel doors to make a movable island, so that should be interesting (and HEAVY, but I'm using heavy-duty casters).

Wish me luck!

Moon, wishing she'd paid more attention in woodshop...