+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Deck Joists

Default Deck Joists

I used yellow pine wood for my deck joist because I can not use treated lumber due to aluminum columns. I have stained the wood with oil base stain. I am also using composite deck material. Would it help to put gorilla tape or some other type of material on top of the joist to help prevent water damage to the joists. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

Warren

Default Re: Deck Joists

wstrauss,

There is a self-adhesive tape made for this purpose. It is similar to the ice-barrier material used on roofs. Nails driven through it are sealed with the gummy glue which holds it down.

The 'tar tape' used to seal around new installation windows.

I'm still nervous about the non PT lumber though. What has that got to do with the aluminum columns?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    The 'tar tape' used to seal around new installation windows.

I'm still nervous about the non PT lumber though. What has that got to do with the aluminum columns?
    Possible corrosion.

Aluminum will corrode badly when in contact with PT lumber, but are the joist is direct contact with the columns? My initial picture was of some type of column sitting on top of the composite decking but are the columns supporting the deck? You could paint the joists, thats what I would do. Use an oil based primer and 2 coats of a good top quality acrylic semi-gloss paint. Stain will not protect any where near as well as a good quality paint.

When I bought my house, the porch was made from untreated yellow pint. It is covered, and the deck itself rotted out in about ten years, but I still have a small section with the original joists that are 30 years old, untreated, unpainted and they still are good. The joists never suffered, only the decking, which was also untreated yellow pine 2x6's.