+ Reply to Thread

Default Building Workshop on Posts - Beam Load Question

Hi all-

I live in Columbia,MD and am planning on building an workshop building 8x24. I am planning on building at the rear of my property which has about a 20 degree slope. Given this, I want to build the workshop on footings, posts, and beams.

Here is my question - Can I use a (2) 6x6 beams, 24 feet long, spaced about 6 feet apart? I will have 6x6 posts supporting the beam every ~4.5 ft. This will create about 1 ft of cantilever on each end.

Will this be enough to support the load of my roof and framing???

The 6x6 posts will be no higher that 16 inches on the far sloping side. The footings will be 12in diameter, 30 inches deep due to the frost conditions in my area.

I have been mulling this over and would greatly appreciate feedback!

Thanks! -Alex

Default Re: Building Workshop on Posts - Beam Load Question

6x6 beams will not suffice 3ply 2x12 will be better suited for it. you can use the 6x6 for the posts on the piers though, just be sure to use pressure treated.
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Thanks JKirk. I have been looking at several beam span charts for decks but I know these charts are using load assumptions for decks and NOT buildings. With a 6x12 beam, what would you recommend the footing spacing should be??? Should I keep it to the interval I am using - about 4.5 ft? This creates 5 footings along the distance of the beam (one at each end, one at the middle, and one at each quarter section between the end and the center). I feel better over shooting the load requirements vs. to little.

-Alex

for a 24' long beam yes you should definitly go with 5 posts. though you may want to consult an engineer so to evaluate soil condition in your area. not to mention the local building authority may require you to go with a foundation for such a large building. check with your local office as to getting better info for your region both for codes and as to if you'll need a permit
    fire up the saw and make some dust