+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: How do I prep old and damaged walls for paint?

Yes Katiejeane,

You can certainly Gardz and prime the walls yourself!
    Just make sure to NOT push the Gardz or primer too thin.
    Using a top-notch roller cover (I suggest Purdy White-Doves), apply your coats.
    The Gardz will go on kinda like skim-milk. It's a little thinner.

Again, when the stabilizing Gardz dries, the patching/skimming/sanding-process can happen.

Don't push a loaded roller-sleeve any farther than 2'x3'!!

Faron

Cool!

I have no idea what a "loaded roller-sleeve" is but I will do my homework before I start everything!

Thanks for the advice!!
    KJ

Hi Faron, I have been on the computer researching each of the products you recommended for my restoration project and I just had a couple questions:

For stripping the paint off the window moldings/trim, would you recommend the Peel Away1, Peel Away Smart Strips or Peel Away7?
    The Peel Away1 said it could stip off over 30 layers of paint! I'm guessing there are probably 4-5 layers on the trims I will be working with...

I noticed the Zinsser Gardz primer says it is for drywall. My walls are plaster. Will this product still be appropriate?

For sections of the wall that need repair (like in picture #1) should I use a product called "SandEasy"? Is there a different one you would recommend? I'm mostly repairing gouges taken out of corners and other parts of the walls.

You have been such a big help!!
    Thank you!
    KJ

BTW - My husband explained to me what a "loaded roller-sleeve" is. I get it now