+ Reply to Thread

Default World’s toughest drywall/sheetrock

I have walls made of stone! Nothing seems to cut into sheetrock/drywall and survive.

A reciprocating saw blade is toothless in about 3”—both metal and wood blades.

I tried a RotoZip wood bit and it burned up in about ˝ of an inch.

I even thought a hole saw would work . . . stripped of its teeth almost immediately.

A hammer (used the wrong one) broke when I swung it at the wall out of frustration.

(No wonder I always have to drill a hole to hang a picture)

I swear if there was a nuclear blast near my home, I’d be safe from not only the shockwave but radiation as well!

I am trying to be deliberate with my demo so not to incur too much additional cost repairing the walls. I am also cutting locations for new outlets and switches but almost nothing cuts into the sheetrock/drywall sufficiently.

The home was built in 1952 and I still have quite a bit of work to do so I am willing to get the appropriate tool.

Any thoughts on a tool that might be able to cut my impenetrable walls? What about that MultiMaster thing? Mini-circular saw?

Thanks!

Bailey

Default Re: World’s toughest drywall/sheetrock

To cut sheetrock or plaster you have to use a tool made for it. A wood bit or blade will not last 5 minutes. A rotozip with a carbide bit for ceramic tile, or a Sawzall blade with carbide grit (not teeth) should work fine.
    "Lead by Example"

Quote Originally Posted by ZZZ View Post
    To cut sheetrock or plaster you have to use a tool made for it. A wood bit or blade will not last 5 minutes. A rotozip with a carbide bit for ceramic tile, or a Sawzall blade with carbide grit (not teeth) should work fine.
    Heading out to my closest hardware store now!

Thank you.

B

You should be able to cut drywall all day long on a single sawzall blade. If you're burning through blades, then I suspect that you have a plaster skim coat over gypsum button board. It is the plaster that's causing your problems, still, you should be able to demo it with a drywall keyhole saw or sawzall with no problems.

Can you post a picture of the material coming off the wall?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I think Spruse is correct on the plaster base being rock lath.
    As for the plaster it is most likely a gypsun product and sand mixture the sand is what is damaging the blades. This type mixture is like cement.
    Try a Diamond blade on a 4 inch side grinder ( use the thin type blades )and be ready for a lot of dust,use eye protection,dust mask and a space suit if you can find one.

The carbide blade cuts like a dream. Many thanks!