+ Reply to Thread

Default Hot and cold water mix

I got a new hot water tank last summer. Since then, the hot/cold mix of water in my shower is off balance. In order to get hot water in the shower (and in the shower only) the hot needs to be on full and the cold needs to be barely turned on at all. This condition does not exist if we use the tub only, and it doesn't exist on any of the other faucets in the house, only this shower.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Betsy Cozzarin

Default Re: Hot and cold water mix

This will be a hard one to diagnoss over the internet.
    1) You are saying this is a tub and shower
    2) You say it only happens while shoering not in the tub.
    3) What type of valve do you have

Yes, only when showering, but not to the degree of extreme when using the tub (although I am told it happens to a much lesser degree when using the tub). I can't answer your question about the valve....don't know where to find it, what it looks like or anything about it. Trying to figure that out now. I can tell you that I have one of those Shower Massage heads, and that the shower turns on by lifting the button on the spiggot. no water runs out of the spiggot when showering, though, so I think that is not the issue.

I can also tell you that when the new HW tank was installed, it leaked from the spiggot on the tank, so the tech got a second pressure tank and installed that on HW tank to build enough pressure w/in to make the tank stop leaking...could that have something to do with it?

Have I given you enough yet to offer any suggestions? I hate being such a woman about this....I'm usually pretty good with my own home repairs.

Thanks.

Betsy

Quote Originally Posted by bawoodc View Post
    Yes, only when showering, but not to the degree of extreme when using the tub (although I am told it happens to a much lesser degree when using the tub). I can't answer your question about the valve....don't know where to find it, what it looks like or anything about it. Trying to figure that out now. I can tell you that I have one of those Shower Massage heads, and that the shower turns on by lifting the button on the spiggot. no water runs out of the spiggot when showering, though, so I think that is not the issue.

I can also tell you that when the new HW tank was installed, it leaked from the spiggot on the tank, so the tech got a second pressure tank and installed that on HW tank to build enough pressure w/in to make the tank stop leaking...could that have something to do with it?

Have I given you enough yet to offer any suggestions? I hate being such a woman about this....I'm usually pretty good with my own home repairs.

Thanks.

Betsy

Thanks for this information. I was planning to buy a HC tank for my mom as Christmas gift.

Betsy,

Try looking near the hot water heater for a TEMPERING VALVE also called ANTI-SCALD VALVE---they are usually required by law & it should be somewhere near the HWH; its job is to mix a safe amount of hot water supply with enough cold water supply to make sure no one gets scalded when they turn on the shower head------check sites below for photo of various tempering/anti-scald valves---it may be located in the cellar near the HWH or near or in the tub with the other valves/controls---there are numerous variations as to how these valves look, according to the various manufacturers, so check all your components closely for lettering that says "hot-cold", "hot-cold mix", "tempering", "anti-scald", etc.

Also, try removing the Shower Massage head & its hose from its connection to see if the hot/cold balance is restored---then you would know the problem is in the shower head.

http://www.inspectapedia.com/BestPra...ingValves2.htm
    http://www.plumbingsupply.com/scald.html
    Last edited by brewster; 12-20-2011 at 12:54 PM.

This question is from 33 months ago.

i'm curious if a solution was ever found for this because i'm having the same issue with an older style bathtub where the hold and cold are separate valves instead of one mixing valve.

To turn on the water, I open the hot 3/4 of the way, and the cold 1/8 of the way to get a normal temperature.
    My advice and opinions come from hands on knowledge...and This Old House Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by dcalabro View Post
    i'm curious if a solution was ever found for this because i'm having the same issue with an older style bathtub where the hold and cold are separate valves instead of one mixing valve.

To turn on the water, I open the hot 3/4 of the way, and the cold 1/8 of the way to get a normal temperature.
    Check for loose or worn washers in your shower valves. I spent the night in a cheap hotel once that had a worn-out shower faucet, your choices were either hot OR cold. A very slight rotation of the handle would result in a sudden switch of temperature.

What temperature is your water (both hot and cold)? It stands to reason, if your hot water is 120, and your cold is 50, opening both up equally should result in 85 degree water. This will feel cold; the temperature needs to be about 100-103 to feel warm. (A very small temperature change in this range will be very noticeable.)

The wider you open the valves the more control you should have, because a given degree of rotation will have a smaller percentage effect. At least in theory.
    Last edited by Fencepost; 12-20-2011 at 01:58 PM.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.