+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Building material cost not dropped?

the thing that drives me nuts is that i prefer to buy from lumber yards and use mom and pop hardware stores, i'm 100% for small business (i'm a small business), but many times i just can't do it.

i had to buy a water shutoff valve for under a sink and there was a hardware store 1 mile away from me and a big orange about 2-3 miles away. i went to the hardware store and paid over $11.00 for one, they were about $6.00 at big orange.

in an emergency i'll pay the extra, it kills me to use these big box stores but i have to. luckily my lumber yard has contractor discounts and it brings the price a lot closer to the big box stores prices. i also have discounts at one electrical supply and one plumbing supply but i'm not always near them.

and YES....prices are getting crazy at the big box stores also.

and one last note.....my GL and WC insurance went up a total of almost $1,000 from last year and i've never made a claim.....maybe i should just give up and go live in a communist country.

Quote Originally Posted by MLB Construction View Post

and one last note.....my GL and WC insurance went up a total of almost $1,000 from last year and i've never made a claim.....maybe i should just give up and go live in a communist country.

Send me a PM and I can discuss that with you and may provide a little insight, but not from a sales perspective.
    It's this old house, not this built after your dad was born house.

MLB,

I feel your pain. When I was contracting, I sometimes had the feeling I only existed to keep the insurance company in business. Next to labor and materials, insurance was the next major categoy of business expense. Workmens Comp alone started at $16 per hundred of payroll. With a couple hundred thousand in payroll, that was $30K off the top!

One of the reasons I Incorporated was it allowed my business partners ( my brothers) and I to decline Workmen's Comp as officers of the corporation. It was cheaper to buy separate disabilty and medical insurance than to cover ourselves under the WC.

It still requires the same quantity of marble and the same period of your time and effort to generate that set of covers. and with the economic system in a volitile manner I wish I could cost more not less for that same set of covers.
    Kennethkbryant