+ Reply to Thread

Default Suggestions for Basement flooring

I am in the process of finishing my basement. I do not want to do carpet and am thinking about laminate or engineered wood for this space. My basement is L shaped and I would like whatever flooring I use to come together without a transition that sticks up above the floor where the two legs of the L come together.

What have others used in a similar situation? Is cork a viable option for below grade?

Thanks,

Default Re: Suggestions for Basement flooring

Howdy, how dry is your basement going to be for the life of the flooring?
    There are some vynal looks like wood products that are easy to install and will handle moisture better.

I'd recommend installing a vapor barrier insullation then a sub floor then wood it you go that way...

on every basement finishing i do now, i always try to push the customer into using Dricore flooring, i use it in my own house. it's a subfloor system designed for basements and it's terrific. they come in 2'x2' squares of particle board with a plasitc egg crate bottom. if your basement get's 1/2" of water on the floor the carpeting on the top won't get wet. you can put vinyl, carpet, wood on top of it just like you would with any regular subfloor. it also eliminates that, hard under your foot feeling, that you get with a concrete subfloor.

Thanks for the suggestions. Either way I'm looking at putting down a pretty heavy vapor barrier. My basement is extremely dry, no wall cracks, leaks or musty smells. Before I started my project, I installed a new sump pump with a battery backup and an auxiliary pump just in case. As a kid we had vinyl tiles in our basement and had issues with the adhesive not holding them down. We ended up ripping them out and going with a different tile and a trowel on adhesive.

Does the Dricore system stand up to the weight of a pool table and did you do an additional vapor barrier under this system?

the dricore can definitely stand up to a pool table and the bottom of the flooring panels are already made of plastic to act as a vapor barrier. i have never used an additional vapor barrier under this system but there's no reason at all that you couldnt' lay a sheet of 4 mil plastic under it for additional protection.

I did a bit of research on the product last night and it is very interesting. http://www.dricore.com/en/eIndex.aspx I'm heading to my local big box store tonight to check the product out. Pricing is not that bad when you look at having just one water event and having to pay for a new floor. The system pretty much pays for itself. Interesting side note, the blue store is about 1.50 per square less than the orange store.

I wish I would have know of this product earlier in my project. I would have framed my walls on top as they recommend to provide even more protection.