+ Reply to Thread

Default dropping wall from ceiling

My home was built in 1958; load bearing wall on garden level has dropped away from ceiling in the last two years. (It looks like there may have been a similar problem more than 20+ years ago.) The gap is now at 1/2 ". The slab on garden level has dropped as well, about 1/3". There is a cement slab outside the offending wall with an outside spigit. There are no signs of leaking, though prior to my purchase 20 years ago there had been. We are way down on yearly moisture in the last few years.
    Help! Walls are starting to crack as well. Had engineers out to no avail.

Default Re: dropping wall from ceiling

Sounds like setteling of the foundation. Consider having a mud jacker- presure concrete- injected under the slab to stabilise the soils and lift the wall back up. Be sure to have any rain gutters in area extend 8' away from the wall and any sprinklier heads not spray tword the area. The mud jacking is so cool as it not only stops setteling but lifts the foundation up to resupport the wall. Another idea is to have a screw pier installed and bolted to the foundation to stop further deflection.

Default Re: dropping wall from ceiling

Opsee, my memory, a soils enginer to inspect verses a structural enginer if you want to have enginers opinion