+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ceiling Fan ...

Default Re: Ceiling Fan ...

I'm sure you have the idea by now, just thought i would give you another horror story. I used a circuit tester when moving wiring in a wall. It read hot, I assumed it was a full 110 volt. continued with my wiring, sealed up the wall pugged refrig. in,,, no worky. tested outlet w/ multimeter 6.4 volts. enough to light "hot stik" NOT enough to light refrig. Had to rewire entire kitchen after I had finished walls(wife not happy).Upon inspection found original electrican had "back fed" some of the house. Sounds like you are in a similar situation.

Circuit testers and " No Contact " voltage testers are junk , in my less than humble opinion .

Testers do have a purpose rough testing for energized wiring but certainly won't tell what the voltage is. There is no denying a volt meter is the best way to go.
    Last edited by canuk; 09-15-2007 at 07:37 AM.

Just curious, how do you guys feel about wiggys? Not really a voltage tester, but they do show an energized conductor and the rough voltage it's got running to it.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Just curious, how do you guys feel about wiggys? Not really a voltage tester, but they do show an energized conductor and the rough voltage it's got running to it.
    Maybe for " homeowner use " , they're OK . I can't use them in my type of work , so I don't have much experience with one .

While I never use them ...I'd have to agree for general purpose testing they're fine but if I'm using contact leads might as well use a volt meter.

For example I recall a situation where instrumentation at a plant would be acting up , the feeling was a power issue. The plant electrician used a "wiggy" and said everything seemed ok yet when I used my volt meter I found they were only being feed 102 volts and fluctuating down to 98 volts.