+ Reply to Thread

Default Re-wiring a light fixture...

I have a light that I want to re-wire. Right now it is set up to wire directly to a light switch or junction box. I want to wire it so I can just plug it into an outlet. Can anyone assist me with this? Thanks for your time and God Bless!

Default Re: Re-wiring a light fixture...

It's very easy to do, but first, what kind of light is it and what are your intentions?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Make sure you only use a UL listed cord set sold for the purpose you described. It should only be the one designed for that particular lamp. Adding a cord to a lamp not designed for it could lead to property damage, fire, death, massive destruction, famine, starvation, epidemics, plagues, cancellation of your insurance, jail, prison, death sentence or worse. Oh yes, make sure you've pulled an electrical permit, building permit, environmental permit, driver's permit, and a parking permit. Be sure to follow the National Electrical Code, the Canadian Electrical Code, the Code of Federal Regulations and the Secret Code. And be sure you use a dielectric union between the copper ground wire and the steel frame to avoid Galvanic Action.

(Just beating *somebody* to the punch. Those of you who've been around here a while know who I'm talking about. )
    Last edited by Fencepost; 03-13-2009 at 01:03 PM.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Yes we need a little more info, a picture would be helpful.
    Don't mind Fencepost, he's feeling a little gray today, he probably drank from the hot water spigot.
    jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Sorry about that guys! Here's a few pictures of the fixture. Let me know if they help. It can be mounted on the wall or on a post. It is rated for outdoor also, but I want to use it indoors. Hope the pics help, Thanks! Ray
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	light 001.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	2271   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	light 002.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	2272   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	light 003.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	2273  
    Last edited by rrp1501; 03-14-2009 at 12:45 PM.

I would not recommend using this fixture unless it's properly mounted to a wall or post. Due to it's shape and design, I'm assuming you're thinking of making a table lamp, the problem with that is the base is not large or heavy enough to be stable.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Around 20 years ago, I had a very similar project. What I did was I made a wood plaque and recessed a "fixture pan" into it. I ran a cord in through the bottom of the plaque and into the fixture pan. Then I mounted the plaque on the wall, made the connections, and mounted the lamp. I used an inline switch on the cord coming down from the lamp.

You might be able to do something very similar without the plaque, by drilling a hole in the bottom of the fixture's canopy. Be sure to put a grommet or other strain relief in the hole so the edge of the metal doesn't cut into the insulation. I think you should probably have some kind of a metal box or plate on the wall behind the fixture canopy, to protect the wall from fire in case of arcing or other failure of the connections.

When you make the connections, be sure to connect the lead that goes to the shell of the socket to the "neutral" part of the plug, which is the wider part of a two-prong plug. If you point a 3-prong plug at you so that the round ground pin is at the bottom, the neutral is the right-hand plug. Be sure to put the switch in the "hot" line and connect it to the center contact of the socket.

As for grounding, it's a good idea, but I've never seen a portable table lamp (even ones made out of metal) that is grounded. If you don't use a grounded cord & plug, use one with a polarized plug. This will ensure that the shell of the socket isn't "hot" and will help prevent electric shock.

If the socket or wiring isn't in good shape, you might want to replace it and the lead wires.

I'm sorry, I don't have access to my project any more so I'm not able to post any pictures.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    I would not recommend using this fixture unless it's properly mounted to a wall or post. Due to it's shape and design, I'm assuming you're thinking of making a table lamp, the problem with that is the base is not large or heavy enough to be stable.
    I don't plan to make it a table lamp, I just want to mount it on the wall as is, if possible, and be able to turn it on and off. Thanks for your time! God Bless

If you decide to do as fencepost described, you should use a 3 conductor cord and grounded outlet. Mounted fixtures are not UL tested to be double insulated.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb