Threaded View

Default How do I construct my own wood ceiling?

Ladies and Gents,

I am about to have a new Kitchen installed, prior to which I need to replace the ceiling. It is an old stucco ceiling with cracks everywhere from a leaky roof when I moved in (fixed); and a section missing where there use to be a beam (now in the attic). The house is a 4 level back split, with the main floor (top half on image) at the entranceway on the porch being a dining room, and what will be the kitchen (was a kitchen/dinette) on the left side of the image. My desire is to replace the entire ceiling with wood, however, I don't like the idea of an interlocking product - I would much prefer to simply have wood planks that overlap (if any have to come out, it is easier). Do you know of any existing products? I haven't seen any that just overlap.

I was thinking it could even be fun, albeit tedious, to do the work myself. Using 1x6 (probably) boards, and a dado blade on a table saw, I would cut out a 1 inch section from one length, and a 3/4 inch section from the opposing side at half the thickness of the board. The gap this would leave when overlapping I would have visible in the room for style. Does this method sound realistic, or am I nutz?

We haven't yet decided on the wood or stain, but that should be easier once we get a final kitchen design and choose the cabinet, counter top, and floor colours (we've only seen the draft so far).

The included image is of the house portion of my survey. The kitchen area is 108"x261" on the left side of the house running front (top) to back, and the dining room is 278"x166" running left to right. It is very open - no dividers between the two rooms; the flooring will define this - cherry laminate in dining room, ceramic tile in kitchen. Joists run front back.

Thanks for any help / ideas you can offer,

T.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	house dimension.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	2260