+ Reply to Thread

Question Refinish stairway

The stairs in my home have carpet over them and i want to take it off. The stair treads look to be in really good shape, at least the areas that i can see are. The carpet has nail strips attached to the treads. When i take those off what is the best product to use to fill in the holes. Then is there a way to stain or refinish the treads and landing at the top of the stairs to make the filled in holes disappear?

Thanks
    Jason

Default Re: Refinish stairway

An excellent product for filling holes with countless combinations of colors you can mix is called Color Putty Brand putty. To mix colors in between two stock colors, simply mix 50% of one color with 50% of another color putty. Experiment with small pinches of putty.

You may want to fill the holes then lightly sand the treads or sand first and fill holes then use a shop vac and a helper to vac the dust up and re-apply a clear finish to the stair treads.
    A collection of efficient painting methods, painting tips, outstanding tools and product reviews at Hidden Content and jackpauhl.blogspot.com

Default Re: Refinish stairway

jgond,

If you use colored putty, the putty should NOT be applied until the stain and the first coat of sealer is applied. Putty is an oil based compound. If you putty bare wood, the oils will get down into the grain of the wood and prevent the stain from taking evenly. You will end up with a "splotch" around every filled hole. Even if you do not use a stain, the color of the putty will stain the wood, again leaving a splotch. Seal the wood first!