+ Reply to Thread

Default Leaving a house unheated in winter

my daughter is thinking of buying a house, in the Montreal Quebec area, that was under renovation but the owners ran out of money. The problem is that the house was left in a state where much of the insulation was removed and the heating (oil hot air furnace) was turned off. The water was turned off at the entry point. The temperature in the house now matches the outside temperature so rises and falls with the weather conditions. My question is, is this a problem? I have spoken to several contractors locally but get answers from "no problem" to "run as far away as possible as the foundation and basement floor will be damaged and will have to be replaced". The price is realy good but not if the foundation work needs doing. Would you advise starting the heating asap and if yes to what temperature?

Default Re: Leaving a house unheated in winter

I don't know to much about foundation but if you don't have your water pipes winterized you could end up with burst pipes and a huge plumbing bill in the Spring

I should have mentioned that the water heater was drained, all water pipes were drained. the toilets and sinks were removed and drains capped. The house was pretty well gutted. My concern is really related to the foundation. The sump was not drained and has frozen. There is no sign currently of any water infiltration into the basement.

Tom --- being from the frigid Canadian prairies there really shouldn't be an issue. Many types of construction continue on through the sub-zero winter temps around here, and many times with no central heat , without issues of concrete failure.

Now , at lot depends on the condition and integrity of the foundation to begin with. If it had issues with cracking from * ad-freeze * resulting from water and drainage issues in the past, then it is destined to be an issue regardless of being without heat for a while.

Hopefully the previous owner had redone the exterior foundation drain and had the exterior walls water proofed which would be a bonus and greatly reduce any risks of issues ---- wishfull thinking of course.

There's no guarantee of the condition of the foundation with any older house.

For the reasonable cost of enlisting the services of a structural engineer to evaluate the structure could save $$$ and provide peace of mind.

2 cents worth.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

You can start leaving them out once night temps get above freezing and give 'em a second winter, and repeat the blooming in spring...

Quote Originally Posted by FloraWard View Post
    You can start leaving them out once night temps get above freezing and give 'em a second winter, and repeat the blooming in spring...

your a Moron