+ Reply to Thread

Default I need suggestions about how to shore up the eyebeam of my 1920's four square

We are adding an extension to our house. The problem is the eyebeam that is supposed to support the original structure has to be supported by two lolly columns and a locust post. All of which show stress fractures plus the previous owners removed the foundation support for the eyebeam on one end to put in a window AND there is a chimney right in the middle so the eyebeam does not span the room in one continuous length. Its actually two separate pieces. My question is how do we fix the support beam? Using wood or a steel beam? Will it be necessary to jack up the house?

Default Re: I need suggestions about how to shore up the eyebeam of my 1920's four square

Howdy, great time to have a structural enginer out to evaluate the problems. Couple hours of the enginers time is well worth it. Some will come and give you a verbal report which saves about 1/2 the cost of a written report.

Default Re: I need suggestions about how to shore up the eyebeam of my 1920's four square

I would guess you will need to jack the beam to level it and install concrete filled lolly columns set in a concrete footer. But as stated above professional evaluation is a must.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb