+ Reply to Thread

Default new fireplace in old home

I hope that someone can help. I am purchasing an old home (built 1885). The old fireplace and chimney had been removed years ago. I would like to install a new, direct vent gas fireplace with the look of an old victorian. I have found the perfect antique cast iron surround, however the firebox is the problem. A new gas firebox will be larger than the opening on the surround, however the surround is larger than the firebox. Can I just install the firebox and cover most of it with the surround? I know that I will not be able to use the blower this way, and that is okay. I am concerned with the cast surround touching the glass and the vents on the top and bottom of the fireplace. Thank you for your help.

San Diego, CA

Default Re: new fireplace in old home

Without seeing exactly what you're talking about, it's going to be hard to give a good opinion. I'd suggest that you talk to the guys at the place you bought your firebox. Explain your problem to them and let them ask you some questions to get the right solution to the problem.

Good Luck.

Default Re: new fireplace in old home

Fireplace and Surround Installation

Install the header on the back wall to support the mantle. Connect with studs.

Assemble the hearth extensions. Set the tile on the firebox and flush against the front rim.

Put the mantle surround pieces in place. Drill the cleats into a stud. Snug the sidepieces against the fireplace. Square everything. Install the trim piece.

Slide the legs over the ends of the base. Drop the header between the legs and square it. Attach to the header using predrilled holes. Attach any other screws, if necessary.

Grout seams between the fireplace and the mantle. After the grout sets, wipe the tile clean with a damp sponge.

Install the fireplace accessories and logs, per the manufacturer's directions. Attach the glass cover and mesh protective screen.