+ Reply to Thread

Default Radiator supply line leak

I have a radiator supply line(copper)with a pin hole from a drywall screw. This particular radiator is for the finished attic and has a separate shut off at the split from the main supply line and one at the return to the main supply. I closed both valves to stop the leak seconds after it happened. My question is this; can I use a compression repair coupling to fix the leak and do I have to blead the entire radiator system or can I just blead the one radiator that was affected? And last what would a plumber charge for this repair?
    Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Radiator supply line leak

If the two valves are for just that one radiator then that would be the only one you would have to vent after the repair. As far as the repair why not use a sweat coupling?

John

I would think if you have a shutoff on either side of the pinhole anywhere along the copper line you shouldn't have to shut down the boiler. You should just have to blead the section that has the hole. I don't know about a compression fitting, while it's off and drained down why not just bite the bullet and do or have it done right? Someone that knows how to solder could just cut it at the leak and add a coupling, It may save future headaches. Don't forget you have to blead the air out after the repair. Nassua Tech will be along to give any advice he thinks you will need, he's a wealth of info. Good Luck

Sorry John it seems we're on the same page about the repairs, I must have been typing as you were posting

Quote Originally Posted by Sten View Post
    Sorry John it seems we're on the same page about the repairs, I must have been typing as you were posting
    Sten I've done the same thing a number of times. At least we think alike.

John

uhohmace:

I would agree with the others that putting in a sweat fitting (soldering a copper fitting in) is the best way to go.

If you need further info on this technique & want to learn how to diy, click onto my name & send me an e-mail.
    Last edited by NashuaTech; 02-28-2011 at 09:57 AM.