I own a 1925 Spanish style home (1200 square feet) with the original floor furnace in great operating condition.

The draft diverter on the furnace is of course rusted and has some holes in it. Nonetheless, the furnace works great, heats the house well and was measured at indoor pollutants at only 10 parts per million. I believe 50 parts per million is considered borderline hazardous. The company that did my last furnace tune up did a good job. But...they of course used the rusted draft diverter as a way to try to sell me a new $6000 furnace that would mar my walls and take up valuable room space. They of course claim they do not wish to fix my draft diverter because of "potential liability." I believe the draft diverter can be easily repaired with, for example, a few pop rivets and sheet steel. I may be very wrong. But since I am of a conservation mindset, especially when it comes to my dollars, I'd like to find a way to repair the existing diverter rather than replacing the entire furnace! Can anyone help? Alternatively, does anyone know of a service in Los Angeles that repairs these beautiful old furnaces?

Thank you in advance for your wisdom.