Default Need awning/front porch ideas

I have to replace this awning, the heavy snow was not good to it this winter! Heres a pic-

Hey, its not pretty but its paid off, To give some more perspective, the "slab" under the awning is 4' x 18' and the current awning covers it all.

I was looking to just build a new awning & shingle it, sort of a add-on roof covering the slab/porch area in the same place as the current awning. After looking at it I dont think I can, theres just over 1' from the top of the front window to the bottom of the gutter on the house. Plenty of room on the sides to build up support for it, but the middle would be very weak. I planned on using columns at the ends (like its set up now) but clearly cant use one in the middle due to the window.

I really dont want to tie this into the existing roof, I think it would make the house look a little strange. Right now I'm not seeing any way around it though.. This poor house is needing a lot of help in the "curb appeal" area! I also want to leave enough room underneath to put in some decent lighting & get rid of that goofy porch light.

Any ideas?

Default Re: Need awning/front porch ideas

With only a 4' span I would thick you could attach an 8" ledger board on the wall under the gutter and use 2 x 8 rafters. A column even with the inside edge of the window should not be a problem.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

i like jack's idea, and as for the 3rd post, how about putting it equidistant to the right side of the door as the one to the left.

michael

Thanks for the replies! I'm going with the 8" ledger board & 2 x 8 rafters. I've been looking at other houses & have seen it done, so I'm sure it will work.

I started this weekend on it, then realized I need to do something with the "slab" porch first. You can see in the pics its rough on the edge in the center area. This is from that awning leaking on that same spot for many years. I just finished levelling out the top surface & have a idea.

Can I use 16x16x2 pavers & just go overtop of the slab (as long as its relatively flat)? I was thinking of going over the edges by 2" and using the smaller pavers to (basically) build a deck over it-just with pavers & totally cover it all up. With any luck the missing "edge" in the center wouldnt be a problem if I go past it & use the smaller pavers to support the larger 16x16 pavers. The slab is structurally sound, other than the center edge being gone.

I could build a wooden deck to just cover it, but I want to cover the house in "fake" brick siding & the stone pavers would look a lot better. Am I on the right track or will this just cause trouble later on?

It's done all the time Nick. Withs a good thinset bed you should be able to level everything out. I would like to see some support though under the face pavers if people are going to be walking off the front of the deck.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Amazing how a small project grows huh? I bought a couple pavers to see how things would look. I'm having issues with the edge, I dont know which way to go.

The pavers I got fit perfectly from the house to the edge of the current porch slab. Thats great, but the edges underneath dont look right to me. It is acceptable, but I think a little more work will make it look a lot better. In the pic i have smaller 4x8 edgers against the house, just trying different things out. I originally hoped to use the smaller bricks as a edge underneath the larger pavers, but that would require cutting all the larger pavers along the edge of the house. Would I just be smarter to skip the smaller pavers alltogether & just refinish the concrete that will show underneath? Thats clearly the easier way out, but I want it to also look good for a while too. A neighbor suggested using wood as "trim" to basically just cover up the exposed "old" porch, that may be a option but as a last resort!

I'm working on fixing the broken ledge in the 1st pic (drying right now). Problem is, its not toally straight! Old house & I didnt expect that, but theres about a 2' wide strip thats been replaced (looking just underneath the mailbox). I can fix it, but it looks like its going to take a little "creative" concrete work!

Thanks for all your help so far!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	porch pavers.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	2301