+ Reply to Thread

Default Crown Molding Woe's

I have found many articles about installing crown molding and I have install many hundreds of feet in the three homes that we have owned. But in our current house I have run into a problem that there seems to be no answer for, so I am reaching out for help.

I have a room that has a sloped ceiling, due to the homes cathedral ceilings. In this room a gap develops between the ceiling and the wall; as the season changes, so does the width of the gap.

My question is how would one go about hanging crown molding to cover up this gap and allow for the expansion and contraction of the gap?

Thanks

Default Re: Crown Molding Woe's

whys the gap there in the first place, is there drywall there that was never taped or what.

as for making the transition from a level ceiling to a vaulted ceiling in crown it has to be done in 3 peices. you need a very short peice with the two different angles on each end if memory serves correct. its not done very often this way. most will just return the crown into the wall where the transition begins then leaver the vaulted ceiling undone
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    whys the gap there in the first place, is there drywall there that was never taped or what.
    Though I've not experienced this myself, it seems to be a fairly common problem that I believe is called "truss lift". Not sure what the cure or root cause is.

As to the crown issue, I'd hazard a guess that if you attached a nailer to the ceiling and attached the crown to that, it would allow the crown to slide up and down the wall as the movement occurred. You won't be able to caulk the crown to the wall as is typically done because the movement will be more than the caulk will allow without failing.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

How do you attached a nailer to the roof, when all there is, is sheet rock.

The issue is known as "truss uplift" and the truss-builders recommendation is that ceiling drywall not be nailed within the first 18" of the exterior wall, so it can flex and not crack there; but crown has obvious problems in such a situation. My suggestion would be to attach the crown only to the ceiling, allowing its relationship to the wall to be in flux; the seam at the bottom is more hidden than the crown/ceiling seam.
    Casey

Quote Originally Posted by RonB View Post
    How do you attached a nailer to the roof, when all there is, is sheet rock.
    On the eave ends you just attach to the rafters/trusses. On gable ends you shouldn't have the issue and can attach to the wall directly, although there is a sheetrock nailer along the wall you can typically get a bit into.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

ahhh. ok truss uplift. in regards to where the sheets are screwed also recommended is to not screw the top 7" from the ceiling in the wall sheet

truss uplift is caused by movement in teh wood of the truss caused by temperature differences between the top and bottom chord. not enough insulation can cause this
    fire up the saw and make some dust