+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default load to much for gfci

Hello,I have two separate loads,feeding (temporaliy),from one gfci feed.20a..there is 250ft of 14/2,,and a few outdoor lights. 800w of lights.The second load is 150ft,14/2 and 300w of lights. When I plug both in,I trip the gfci,not the breaker,,I have a CLAMP METER,can I go on a hot wire for each individual load,when on,and try to determine the amp draw??thanks,each of these loads work OK by themselves.

Default Re: load to much for gfci

800 W plus 300 W equals 1100 W divided by 120 volts = 9.17 amps no where near 20 amps. GFCI are tripped by a difference in current flow between the "hot" and "neutral" not by excessive current. The breaker didn't trip so you are not drawing more than 20 amps. DO NOT "hot wire" , find the cause.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

U are right,I will find the cause or run new leg.My 2nd question,for a little education, is with the clamp meter..can I go on one leg(hot),at any point on the wiring and test the amp draw??when the load is lighting?thanks

Quote Originally Posted by schlo View Post
    Hello,I have two separate loads,feeding (temporaliy),from one gfci feed.20a..there is 250ft of 14/2,,and a few outdoor lights. 800w of lights.The second load is 150ft,14/2 and 300w of lights. When I plug both in,I trip the gfci,not the breaker,,I have a CLAMP METER,can I go on a hot wire for each individual load,when on,and try to determine the amp draw??thanks,each of these loads work OK by themselves.
    14/2 should be protected by 15 amp max, for long distances may have to increase size.

Sensors on these outdoor lights (motion/light levels) timers? Power supplies/transformers?

Newer GFCI's have lock-out protection.

Suspect a wiring error or fault. Water infiltration, condensation, continuity, poor bond to ground all possibilities.

Voltage drop issues also possible.
    SPAM: never liked it from a can, can't stand it on a board forum. This board needs MODERATORS!

Quote Originally Posted by schlo View Post
    U are right,I will find the cause or run new leg.My 2nd question,for a little education, is with the clamp meter..can I go on one leg(hot),at any point on the wiring and test the amp draw??when the load is lighting?thanks
    Yes you just need to make sure you seperate the legs.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Watson View Post
    14/2 should be protected by 15 amp max, for long distances may have to increase size.

Sensors on these outdoor lights (motion/light levels) timers? Power supplies/transformers?

Newer GFCI's have lock-out protection.

Suspect a wiring error or fault. Water infiltration, condensation, continuity, poor bond to ground all possibilities.

Voltage drop issues also possible.
    Because this is a plugged in circuit it is not necessary to have 15 amp protection, however the rest of your post is valid.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Because this is a plugged in circuit it is not necessary to have 15 amp protection, however the rest of your post is valid.
    Jack
    I didn't see where he said that. Figured a deadfront GFCI with two loops one 250 ft out the other 100 ft out on 14/2. Either way 14/2 shouldn't be part of a 20 amp circuit.

Unless you're saying he's throwing a cap on 14/2 and plugging it into a GFCI receptacle on one end and wiring the other end to a receptacle in a box? (which would be very bad)
    Last edited by Gray Watson; 03-07-2009 at 05:40 PM.
    SPAM: never liked it from a can, can't stand it on a board forum. This board needs MODERATORS!

In the OP he said "When I plug both in" .
    Jack

True but also said temporary and also mentioned the new leg, so I'd call that a leap in logic.

Rather depend on the author to indicate the meaning since not clear at all that was refering to a cord cap.

I suspect this is a continued effort on this other discussion about tripping GFCI, pool and yard lighting:

http://advice.thisoldhouse.com/showthread.php?t=11178

14 awg doesn't belong on a 20 amp circuit.

If this is the same project Schlo needs qualified on-site help. You must have EGC near pool.

Bonding pool area essential.

A Pro can check service bond and check for stray voltage from drop, pole and transformer locations.
    Last edited by Gray Watson; 03-07-2009 at 05:49 PM.

Does that mean I can't plug the 14 awg extension cord for the hedge clippers into the 20 amp outside outlet I have, or that I should unplug all the table lamps with 18 awg cords that are pluged into outlets on a 20amp circuit?
    Jack