+ Reply to Thread

Default Paint Primer Bubbling on Plaster Ceiling

I orginally posted this question in Walls and Ceiling but I think it's actually supposed to be here.

We're in a big mess and could really use some good advice. We have a 50's era house with plaster ceilings. We started the kitchen ceiling by washing and rinsing it. Then went on to prime it with latex primer and 2 coats of latex ceiling paint. When the last foot of masking tape was removed a chunk of ceiling paint came down with it. We realized that originally they must have used an oil based paint. We ended up scrapping the entire ceiling and then re-primed it. After the primer was dry realized it was bubbling in several large spots. At the time we noticed several large yellowed spots but thought the primer should cover them. We have now tried sanding the ceiling but it's absolutely grueling and discouraging. I'm ready to give up as we've now been at this project for a week straight.

What went wrong? My intent was to spruce up the house before my daughter's wedding as an inexpensive makeover. Any solutions other than sanding the entire ceiling which I'm about to give up on. Putting new drywall over the plaster is out of the question as I cannot afford it. Any suggestions and help would be much appreciated. Thank you

Default Re: Paint Primer Bubbling on Plaster Ceiling

Howdy, consider sealing the ceiling with White "Kills" primer sealer. It is made to cover paint staining. It adhears very well. Then you can paint it with latex or oil based paint. Hopefully not too big pot plaster came off.

Hi Timothy: I have never heard of White "Kills" Primer - is this available in Canada? I used CIL's Demensions Primer/Sealer which says it has excellant adhereing. None of the actual plaster ceiling came down. We managed to remove all the paint when it started chipping after the first primer and 2 coats of paint - which turned into a many hour job. The problem came after that with all the old paint removed and a new primer applied.

Hi i do not know if Kills is sold in Canada but it is the widly used for fire and water restoration primer/sealer made to kill water stains. Call a paint store or hardware store. It is sold by the gallion and or in 16 ounce spray cans. It is quite odorous when installing so i have a fan going when i use it here in USA.

I'm trying to figure out if those large yellowed spots were some kind residue from the orignal oil based paint. Why wouldn't the primer adhere to it? Well actually it seemed like it did but once the entire ceiling was primed and dry was when we noticed the crumbling in those spots. We've been hand sanding the primer off the ceiling for a couple of days now and I have to say the progress is very slow. We're now into week 2 of a project we thought would take 4 days tops.

Does the entire ceiling needed to be sanded or only the areas with the yellowed sections? Even with sanding those spots still look yellowish.

What's the difference between's using the White's primer verus the CIL Demensions Superior Adhesive?