I have a bet riding on this and cant for the life of me figure out what this tool does!

It has a threaded rod and a piece of metal that flips down to stop the threaded rod from freely moving, it has a 1/2" square bit on the bottom side and on the end of the threaded rod there is a plate with 2 holes in it

seems to secure to 2 things and pull them apart?

any help is great!