+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Need Help identifying a speciality tool...

I have a bet riding on this and cant for the life of me figure out what this tool does!

It has a threaded rod and a piece of metal that flips down to stop the threaded rod from freely moving, it has a 1/2" square bit on the bottom side and on the end of the threaded rod there is a plate with 2 holes in it

seems to secure to 2 things and pull them apart?

any help is great!

Default Re: Need Help identifying a speciality tool...

Looks like a hold-down, possibly for a miter saw or some similar power tool.

The peg to the left would attach in a hole in the saw's fence, and the hold-down screws down to clamp onto the wood. The flip-up dealie is so that you can quickly adjust the clamp without winding it all the way.

That's my guess. If I'm right, what to I get?
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Default Re: Need Help identifying a speciality tool...

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    Looks like a hold-down, possibly for a miter saw or some similar power tool.
    DING DING DING DING DING!!!!! You win a biscuit!

That's exactly what it is, it's a clamping device for use on a tool or carpenters workbench. That quick release feature is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!