+ Reply to Thread

Default Energy Recovery Ventilator vs. Humidifier

I am curious what your (TOH Discussion Board) thoughts are about whether it is better to install Energy Recovery Ventilators or Humidifiers if the home has a extremely low humidity level in the winter (Northeast US).

My home has steam heating (radiant) and central air conditioning. The humidity levels in the home in the dead of winter is less than 20%. I would like to solve this without having a bunch of standalone small room humidifiers taking up floor space throughout the home --- neither would I want one large floor unit sitting anywhere.

Installing a humidifier in the Central Air/Con duct work for the winter is really not practical -- since I am not using it in the winter.

The ideal solution is to install hidden (behind the wall / ceiling) units to deal with the humidity. Which leads me to either ERV's or humidifiers.

What are your thoughts?

Default Re: Energy Recovery Ventilator vs. Humidifier

My understanding ERV's don't add humidity.

Quote Originally Posted by bsum1 View Post
    My understanding ERV's don't add humidity.
    I thought so too, but it seems there is a new unit provided by Panasonic which does provide some humidity control.

This is the write-up from TOH

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/phot...592459,00.html

This is the unit on Panasonic's website:

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...00000000005702

The way I see it ,they don't introduce any more humidity instead allowing the humidty that would be exhausted from the house to help temper the colder air drawn in from outside.
    Last edited by bsum1; 03-10-2009 at 09:55 PM.