+ Reply to Thread

Default How to fix crumbling footing ???

I recently purchased a home that was built in the 1940's. The walls seem pretty good yet but there is an exposed footing that seems to be deteriorating and leaving sand all along the edge of the floor. What can I use to seal the footing ?? There is not any signs of any water leakage.
    Thank you

Default Re: How to fix crumbling footing ???

i'm confused, are you sure you're talking about a footing and not a foundation wall?

Below the wall and about 3 inches above the cement flooring is a ledge, that I would assume is the footing ??? It sticks out about 3 inches from the wall and 3 inches above the floor... not sure how else to explain it

if its above the slab its very good chance its not the footing. more often than not the slab sits on the edge of the footing
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by dkdonais View Post
    I recently purchased a home that was built in the 1940's. The walls seem pretty good yet but there is an exposed footing that seems to be deteriorating and leaving sand all along the edge of the floor. What can I use to seal the footing ?? There is not any signs of any water leakage.
    Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by dkdonais View Post
    Below the wall and about 3 inches above the cement flooring is a ledge, that I would assume is the footing ??? It sticks out about 3 inches from the wall and 3 inches above the floor... not sure how else to explain it
    Based on your description and the age of the home , it's possible the floor of the basement was lowered at sometime --- probably for some extra head room. If that's the case and unless the footing was properly underpinned there's some concern the way it is. Also, it almost sounds as though the concrete used for the footing may be crumbling / deteriorating --- there is no sealing product that will correct the problem --- if that's what it is.
    You should have a professional foundation contractor ( at the least ) or a structural engineer to evaluate things.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

So hoping it would be simple thanks for the replies !!