+ Reply to Thread

Default Best way to repair water damaged finish?

Hi All,

First time poster here, long time TOH reader/viewer!

I have some otherwise very nice oak kitchen cabinets that are showing some signs of use. Near the sink, the finish has been damaged by water exposure, i.e. the finish is flaking, the stain is gone and bare wood remains. On other areas near door pulls, repeated fingernail gouging has removed the finish down to bare wood.

I'd like to touch up just these areas, but need some guidance before beginning. I believe the previous finish is polyurethane or perhaps catalized lacquer. Since the finish on undamaged areas is very smooth, I'm guessing the pores were filled prior to staining. I'd like to just restain, but doing so would give darker stain on the open pores of the grain versus the undamaged, untouched areas.

Should I lightly sand (to remove flaking film finish) then rub in pore filler then stain?
    For a finish coat, I was planning to use aerosol satin poly. Does that sound right?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

George

Default Re: Best way to repair water damaged finish?

If it were me, I would pull the sink to make sure the cutout edge is also sealed. Sand the area to remove loose finish and mineral deposits, fill the grain is needed, and use a brush on or rub on poly.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb