+ Reply to Thread

Default electrical problem?

I had a under the sink hose that leaked into my electical outlet for dishwasher and gabage disposal. Now the garbage disposal does not work when I flip the switch. I used a stick to get the garbage disposal to unstick and it ran but now it is back to a buzzing noise again but does not spin. I have not tried to use dishwasher for fear of it leaking on carpet etc. Did this cause electrical damage? What do I do now to get these two things to work normal again??

Default Re: electrical problem?

Sounds like the outlet has dried up and if the disposer is buzzing is getting electricity but either has a bad motor or has seized up.

With the electricity off, can you rotate the disposer thru the drain?

Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, thesemi-retiredelectrician.com

Hi Maurice T.
    Thank you for advise on elect. problem. The garbage disp. was stuck and moving it with the hand (and not a stick) to get it to spin again made it work again repeatedly. I am disappointed that Shea Homes did not put in elect. outlet with circuit breaker on it in this wet location.
    HS

Great Helen! I'll bet it's a pemanent fix.

I always put in a GFCI receptacle under the sink, which is probably the wettest location in the world during a sink problem, but it's not required by Code.

Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, thesemi-retiredelectrician.com