+ Reply to Thread

Default Painting Steel Siding

I live in Southern California about 15 miles southeast of LA. Do I need a special exterior paint to paint US Steel Siding that was installed in 1978 on my ranch style house. It has never been painted and I need to know if special paint or procedures must be followed so the paint will not peel off. Thank you.

Default Re: Painting Steel Siding

Howdy, consider stopping by a paint store for prep info the siding needs a primer then paint.

Akarenm,

Yes, you can paint steel siding. The procedure is much the same as painting the more common aluminum siding.

Siding is usually re-painted because it has become dull and faded. This fading is due to oxidized pigment on the surface of the siding. You must remove this oxide before painting. The best thing for this project is an aggressive power washing. A vigorous power washing will literally blast off the oxide. There are many detergents which will aid in this removal. Also, make sure you bleach any mildewed areas.

On aluminum siding, you don't have to be concerned with rust. However, on steel siding, any rust should be sprayed with one of the rust conversion products on the market. This comes in spray cans for spot priming. It converts the rust to an inert state which will not continue to rust.

After the thorough cleaning and spot priming, simply paint with a quality 100% acrylic housepaint. It can be sprayed or brushed. On most standard reveal clapboard siding with about a 7inch reveal, a seven inch roller and back-brushing works fine.

I have used the above procedure on many homes, including my own, with excellent results.

Thank you so much for the helpful information. I feel relieved now knowing what to do. You gave me a great deal of information and I appreciate it.