+ Reply to Thread

Post Has Anyone Replaced an "Octopus"?

My husband and I have put an offer on a small, old house in Minneapolis with a giant "octopus" gravity heating system. There is a good chance that asbestos is present on both the furnace and ducts. My problem is that we would love to have an idea of how much we are looking to spend to a) remove the asbestos, b) remove all ductwork and the furnace, and c) replace it with either a forced air or radiant floor heating system. I have tried to call and get a ballpark estimate, but contractors aren't willing to give me an idea without looking at it first. I understand why, but I do not own the house and would love to know before there's no looking back.

SO, has anyone out there had any similar work done, and would you be willing to give me an idea of how much it cost you?

Default Re: Has Anyone Replaced an "Octopus"?

Yes I have had a similar unit replaced. Cost will depend on the individual unit and your local area. You need to have an experienced contractor inspect and give you a bid before you buy. Most good contractors can give you a price range after a quick inspection.

Make an offer contingent upon an inspection by a reputable asbestos abatement contractor. If there's no asbestos, the offer is valid; if there is asbestos then the offer is void.

If the seller acknowledges there is asbestos, then make the offer contingent upon a removal/replacement estimate less than some dollar amount.

Seller should pay for the inspection.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

fencepost is right, if you suspect that there's asbestos there, then make your offer contingent on the seller having it removed at their cost. also, as part of your offer (and this is the beauty of the real estate market now) make your offer contingent on getting a satisfactory estimate on replacing the heating system. you can call more shots now than you ever could before. sellers, in general, will be extremely accomodating if they have a buyer on the hook so take advantage of it. you should be able to have them remove the asbestos and allow you to get a few estimates on a new heating system......and if you don't like what you see, you can back out of the deal. i'm also a real estate agent and i've seen some buyers and sellers do some quirky things in order to make a sale go through. you'll never know how much you can get until you ask and the answer never get's worse than a "no".

michael

Quote Originally Posted by Shaina Stavem View Post
    My husband and I have put an offer on a small, old house in Minneapolis with a giant "octopus" gravity heating system. There is a good chance that asbestos is present on both the furnace and ducts. My problem is that we would love to have an idea of how much we are looking to spend to a) remove the asbestos, b) remove all ductwork and the furnace, and c) replace it with either a forced air or radiant floor heating system. I have tried to call and get a ballpark estimate, but contractors aren't willing to give me an idea without looking at it first. I understand why, but I do not own the house and would love to know before there's no looking back.

SO, has anyone out there had any similar work done, and would you be willing to give me an idea of how much it cost you?
    Costs vary with the equipment you choose but most people will go with a 95% furnace, 2-stage, variable-speed.
    The furnace installed with the ductwork, wiring and gas piping will be approx. $5,000. Furnace and asbestos removal approx. $800. It's a two day job.

I agree with Fencepost, costs will vary depending on your location so an offer contingent on the removal or cost of the removal of the asbestos is the way to go. Good Luck!!!
    Last edited by Sten; 02-06-2010 at 01:53 PM.

She asked for just an "idea of a cost". $6,000-8,000 should be enough for them to decide if they want to take it further. I don't think we need to waste a salesman's time quite yet. Just me.