+ Reply to Thread

Default cold air falling out of ceiling cold air return

Hello.

We bought a house new construction in 2007. The master bedroom has two heat outlets in the floor on one side of the room and the cold air return is in the ceiling on the other side of the room. This cold air return is sized 12" x 12" and right over our bed!! My problem is now that at times cold air seems to be "falling" out of this vent, making it uncomfortable sleeping conditions and causing me to wake up with dry eyes and/or throat. (The system has humidifiers and we do have a hygrometer, it is not too dry in the room.) Unfortunately we cannot move our bed, the bedroom is laid out in such a way that there is only one solution possible, right underneath this vent. I started noticing this draft only in the winter for the obvious reasons and initially it did not bother me as much. However this year it is bad, and I have to pull up the blankets way up in order not to feel it. As I mentioned before it does not seem to be happening all the time. Is this something that can be corrected? Has it maybe to do with the fact that there is a discrepancy in heat distribution between the master bedroom and the three kids bedrooms. The thermostat for the upstairs heat zone is in the master bedroom and with bedroom doors closed the kids rooms heat up far too much, therefore I have to close the heat outlets almost entirely in these rooms.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

thx, Gwendolyn

Default Re: cold air falling out of ceiling cold air return

You could move the cold air return. You could install an automatic damper on the return so it only opens when the furnace blower is running. you could try insulating the return duct to see if that helps.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Hello Jack.

Thank you for your reply. When you say insulating the return duct, do you mean closing off the opening with insulation blanket. The reason I am asking this is because I found out that some of the ducts of the heat outlets in the kids bedrooms contained a damper made out of insulation material.

Gwendolyn

No, your cold air duct runs throug the unheated cold attic. This cools the air in the duct and cold air drops as the warm air in the room rises. By insulating the duct work it helps reduce the heat transfer. An automatic damper would close when the heating fan is not running closing off the cold air duct.

I'm not sure what you mean by dampers made of insulation material.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Well, as I mentioned earlier there is a discrepancy of heat distribution between the kids bedrooms and the master bedroom. My assumption is that in order to level this out they put in the heat ducts of two of the kids bedrooms a cut out circular piece of insulation blanket, yellow with one side reflection material. I discovered it when my toddler had thrown a pen in the heat outlet and I wanted to retrieve it. Together with the pen came the "damper". Initially I thought these two kids bedrooms were too cold, since there was almost no heat coming out of the ducts (because of the damper as it turns out), but they receive too much heat. I will call the HVAC company for this issue. First I will try to insulate the duct in the attic and see whether that helps.

thx, Gwendolyn