+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Old Victorian with no subflooring on upper floors

We just ripped down the old plaster ceiling in our soon to be master bedroom so that we can sound proof it and get to the old wiring. There is no subflooring under the existing wood floor on the room above. We are going to be putting in soundproofing insulation and sound reducing type gypsum board for ceiling, but I'd like to put something on the underside of that wood floor. You can see daylight between some of the cracks between the wide floor boards. I believe the wood support beams are 16 " apart so I am thinking the subfloor would have to be cut into less than 16 " wide strips. But what type of material should I use and would I toe nail it into the support beams or glue it? What would be best if sound proofing is my goal. I also don't want to use anything that would increase fire hazard.

Thanks for any input.

Default Re: Old Victorian with no subflooring on upper floors

Howdy consider rock wool batts as good cound reduction great insulation and air infiltration reduction and great fire rating too.
    Rolux Safe and Sound is worth a look see...

Thank you. I was looking at this product below if anyone has any experience with it, from soundproofcow (not sure if allowed to provide a link.

But I'm concerned about having nothing under the floor boards like a membrane or sub-floor. Any suggestions what I can put under existing floor boards to help stop leaks from coming through and/or helps support & sound? What about cutting sub flooring into strips and placing under existing floor boards ?

Instructions on this sound proof system say:

Instructions / Details

1. Install the Quiet Batt® between the joists.

2. Install the isoTRAX™ Soundproofing System onto the ceiling joists.

3. Install ½ inch Type X gypsum board on to the isoTRAX™ system with 1 ¼ inch fine thread drywall screws. Screws should be placed 8 inches apart. Leave a ¼ inch gap between the new layer of gypsum board and all adjoining walls.

4. Fill the ¼ inch gap with OSI® Pro-Series® SC-175™ Acoustical Sound Sealant.

5. Finish the gypsum board using common industry standards.

I don't see the point of the isotrax system. I could just screw the gypsum board to joists. Not sure what those metal brackets do.??

Have a look at this article to isolate that floor: http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/...fing_ceilings/

Standard R19 is all that is needed for insulation.

The decoupling (trax) mentioned in that suggestion should be replaced with sompetent resilient clips and standard 25 gauge Drywall Furring Channel

If you're going to do all of this, use the heavier 5/8" drywall not the 1/2"

Standard R19 is all that is needed for insulation.

The decoupling (trax) mentioned in that suggestion should be replaced with sompetent resilient clips and standard 25 gauge Drywall Furring Channel

If you're going to do all of this, use the heavier 5/8" drywall not the 1/2"
    Thank you very much!. I just received a quote for that package from that company. My ceiling is 22 x 18 and they quoted over $2200 for those rails and padding!! That doesn't even include the quiet rock type gypsum board and labor so I definitely need another solution.

You said:
    "The decoupling (trax) mentioned in that suggestion should be replaced with sompetent resilient clips and standard 25 gauge Drywall Furring Channel"
    Excuse my ignorance but please be more specific about the clips and "furring channel". Is "Sompetent" a typo? I know nothing about construction terms. Where can I get these things? Is the furring channel made of metal or wood ?

Thank you in advance Ted.
    Last edited by Rae8; 04-18-2011 at 10:20 PM.

A Google search of the term "furring channel" yielded this link to furring channels.

You can search the web for the products mentioned here, just add in the search terms what they are used for.

Thanks Houston. I did google it after I asked but still wasn't sure if needed wood or metal. It looks like these channels are all metal. I always thought "furring" material was wood for some reason.

Hopefully I can put together a package for less than that other quote !

Also, is 5/8" gypsum board all that these special "quiet rock" and other specialty gypsum board are? I thought they were made of some specialty materials that blocked sound better.

And the special soundproofing insulation material they use at that soundproofing place - is it just standard "R19" insulation? Nothing more/special ?

The 7/8" Drywall Furring Channel is explained in detail here: http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/...t_sound_clips/

That decouples the system, which is the first step. See the previously linked article for more detail on the rest of the assembly.

You would use standard insulation, as exotic insulations have no lab data that supports their use and expense.

You would use standard 5/8" drywall since it's $8 a sheet and wonderfully heavy. The specialty drywall you mentioned would be ligher and therefore less isolating.

Damp this 5/8" drywall yourself.

Your ceiling would require no more than $400 in specific soundproofing materials. He rest is standard insulation and standard drywall. Maybe $50 worth of the furring channel that you would get locally.

Thanks so much Ted.
    I knew there had to be a cheaper way but didn't know where/what to look at it. You saved me a lot of money and time!

Bless you!