+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Moles

Default Moles

Hello everyone,
    I have a problem with moles. Over the winter they have destroyed my yard. They are literally all over my 5 acres. Does anyone have a low cost soultion to getting rid of these pest?

thanks, greg

Default Re: Moles

The free way is to remove one of the most recent mounds and open up the hole. Lay in wait until the unsuspecting mole comes to plug the hole and then bean him over the head. Repeat until your property is mole free.

An inexpensive method is to uncover a hole and burn sulfer into it. The sulfer will suffocate them wherever they are within the tunnel network. Not sure where you can get the sulfer, but a good weed torch can be had cheaply at Harbor Freight to burn it.

A variation on method one. Uncover a hole and lay in wait with a shotgun.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Got to You Tube and type in "molekat". This device is placed in the mouth of the mole hill tunnel. It has a trigger which blasts the mole with a blank 22 shell when it critter comes up for air.

I personally use cinch traps. They are effective, but they require that you dig down to intercept the tunnel and then place a trap in both directions in the tunnel. The mole trips the trigger with his nose and the "cinch" grabs his body.

One thing for sure, if you don't keep on top of them, they take over and decimate your lawn!

<- has a degree in landscape horticulture

Moles eat insects. Get rid of the soil insects and the moles will leave on their own.

of course setting loose a few Jack Russells is fun too.

Around my parts moles like grubs. Get rid of the grubs the moles will leave. If your neighbor has mole so will you. If you have a farm supply store go their and tell them of the critter your trying to get rid of. You would get a better deal to go to a CO-OP or a grainery where they buy this product it bulk. I believe it is lyme that you want to get. If you spread this over your lawn it will change the PH level of your soil enough to get rid of the grubs and removing the grubs removes the moles. From every thing that I have heard moles are annoying but good for your ground because they are eating the grubs and other bugs in your soil. The bad part is they make a huge mess.

Moles are fantastic for aerating the soil and improving drainage. This can lead to a healthier lawn as the grass roots will be able to penetrate deeper. So moles are not all bad.

But they sure do make an ugly mess.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Unhappy Re: Moles

Roger,

Really, we live in the city and we have a camper out in the country. My husband built me a beautiful little flower bed but, some little creature,we suppect a mole, ate the roots all of them first, then slowly but surely came back daily I think for breakfast, lunch, and dinner till my grandaughter was in tears over her beloved flower bed was all but gone. Can you please help us spring is coming and she is playing harm for this little creatures and i am beginning to side with her'

Sincerely Barbara Kile

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara kile View Post
    Roger,

Really, we live in the city and we have a camper out in the country. My husband built me a beautiful little flower bed but, some little creature,we suppect a mole, ate the roots all of them first, then slowly but surely came back daily I think for breakfast, lunch, and dinner till my grandaughter was in tears over her beloved flower bed was all but gone. Can you please help us spring is coming and she is playing harm for this little creatures and i am beginning to side with her'

Sincerely Barbara Kile
    You've got four choices. Kill it and be rid of it, live capture and release it elsewhere far far away from your current location, plant more flowers for both you and the critter to enjoy or you could do a containerized garden which would keep the critter away from the flowers.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara kile View Post
    Roger,

Sincerely Barbara Kile
    If you are directing this to Roger Cook, the landscape expert on This Old House, I'm sorry to disappoint you by telling you that neither he nor anyone else on the TOH show team reads this forum. (At least, not that any of the regulars here have seen.)

To send a question to Ask This Old House, go to thisoldhouse.com/asktoh and fill out the form there. If you're lucky, they'll pick your question for the askthisoldhouse column in the magazine (or even the show?). If you're not lucky, you'll never hear from them again.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

I was receintly repairing a sprinkler head, and after digging it up i realized a mole hoad chewed holes in the lines, which explained why i didn't have any water pressure, after repairing the lines i filled the holes in with gravel, hopefully that will solve that problem?
    HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL!

Oklahoma City, OK