+ Reply to Thread

Default Sloping floors in a newer house

My house is a raised ranch and is 4 years old. We just purchased it 3 months ago, and just realized that the floors in the back 1/2 of the house slope down. We estimate the floor at the back wall of the house is about 2" lower than where it should be.

I am trying to find out the short and long term complications this will cause and what I can do to fix this. Thanks!

Default Re: Sloping floors in a newer house

Where is your house? Is this SOG? Slab on grade Can you talk with the building dept to find out how the foundation was constructed? Do you notice any places where there were drywall cracks repaired? Any places where the baseboards or crown molding has been fixed or separated by a large amount?
    Last edited by HoustonRemodeler; 02-20-2011 at 10:30 PM.

I'm in Wisconsin. Not sure on the foundation. There is not a single crack in the house drywall, and I feel like I am constantly looking for one. No cracks anywhere. Is 4 years enough time to yield cracks if the sloped floors would cause a structural problem?

Really can't answer that one from here, there are a few trees in the way blocking my view. The next thing to check for - was the house built this way. Normally, a side wall is framed on the ground then stood up into place. This works when the floor is relatively level.

So, does the wall on the first floor get taller as the floor drops down?

2" out of level is alot especially if the house is only 4 yrs old. in that case it would seem like something is seriously wrong.

if it felt like 1/4" out of level and be more likely if they used conventional lumber for the joists. as the crown of the lumber can make it seems that way..

back to the issue though, if there is a problem with the soil and the house is settling that early in the life of the house there definitely would be cracks in the drywall. the only other thing i can think of is that maybe the double top plate was left out on a wall or two causing the joists to slope
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Didn't the inspection catch this?

Even though you are not the original purchaser from the builder, I'd check your state consumer laws for new home warranty. Depending on the defect you may be covered, if in fact it turns into a major flaw.