+ Reply to Thread

Default Windows in the Shower

We are getting ready to redo a second bathroom in which the shower is against an exterior wall with a window. The window is vinyl but the trim and sill are wood. It currently looks in decent shape with a little cracking, but I was wondering if over time the constant water exposure will create moisture problems around and under the window. It was suggested that we replace the window with glass block, which I imagine could be sealed against moisture and also provide a little privacy. Unfortunately the cost is putting us over our budget. Is there a better solution that may be cheaper? Because it's not our main bath the shower isn't used as frequently.

Default Re: Windows in the Shower

Just a heads up, the minimum height of the bottom of a window in a shower needs to be 60" above the shower floor or the window should be tempered glass. If the window glazing is below 60" and is not tempered you can cover it with acrylic safety glazing (plexiglass). The plexiglass could also solve moisture issues by being sized to cover the wood you are concerned about.

The wood could also be replaced or overlayed with PVC trim that can handle the moisture. I would at least add a PVC sill sloped toward the shower to shed moisture and caulk with silicone.

The cheapest solution is to trim down a shower curtain for the window as a waterproof curtain.

All the best,

Basswood

http://basswoodcarpentry.com/

I like the idea of using a little curtain over the window, especially if you are running into budget problems. How large is the window? Glass blocks aren't usually an expensive product and installation is usually quick and simple, not more than $100 for a small shower window. You may want to get a few estimates from glass block window companies and see what they quote you.
    ________
    Networx.com
    We provide the latest information on how to fix, renovate, and decorate your house using the least amount of resources for the best value.

Keep a squeegee in your bathroom to wipe down shower doors and walls after every bath or shower. In addition, if you use a bar soap, you might want to consider switching to a liquid soap since it doesn't contain talc. Finally, here's a quick soap scum removal tip: use a dryer sheet! Just dampen and wipe along your shower door, soap scum will no longer be an issue.