+ Reply to Thread

Default Bathroom Exhaust Fan Noise Problem

Hello,

I own a two family house and live on the 2nd floor. The first floor unit has an exhaust fan/light in the bathroom which when my tenant turns it on, creates an obnoxious dull humming/vibration in my apartment. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to solve this? The exhaust fan is probably quite old -more than 10 years I would say, but works fine and is secured/installed well.

Do they make silent/vibration-less exhaust fans that I could install? Or are there any other suggestions?

Thanks for your time and advice.

Default Re: Bathroom Exhaust Fan Noise Problem

Many times a good cleaning and lubrication of the motor will go a long way towards quieting noises and vibration. When you disassemble the motor, pay very close attention to how it comes apart so that you can reassemble it correctly. Note if there is any excessive play in the shaft, as this is where the vibration is coming from. You can purchase shims that will take up that slack. Lubricate it with a few drops off 3-in-1 oil or any other light weight oil.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks- However, at this point I think it may be worth it to replace the fan.

Does anyone know of any Exhaust Fan products that are nearly silent, or with mimimum vibration?

Look for a "low sone" fan. I have no idea what you have, but if you look for a fan that's rated below 1 sone it ought to be quiet.
    You can start your research on this site.
    I've bought faucets from their sister site and was very pleased with the quality and service.

I've found that after eating Creamy Garlic Chicken Pizza, no bath fan is too loud. Especially when I'm at someone else's house.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave239 View Post
    Look for a "low sone" fan. I have no idea what you have, but if you look for a fan that's rated below 1 sone it ought to be quiet.
    You can start your research on this site.
    I've bought faucets from their sister site and was very pleased with the quality and service.

Thanks! That is extremely helpful.