+ Reply to Thread

Default Old water shut-off valve to toilet

I'm trying to trouble-shoot the leak in a (Crane 1971) toilet tank, but the water shut-off valve is unwilling to budge. (If it was ever shut off before, it might have been done only once or twice.) Do you have any suggestions on how to loosen it up without breaking it off? I tried a little W-D 40 with no luck, but maybe I wasn't aggressive enough. Thank you for your help.

Default Re: Old water shut-off valve to toilet

Have you tried tapping it with a hammer to break the corrosion? A new 1/4 turn valve would be optimal.

I tried that, but no luck. I've considered Lime-a-way, which I used successfully on another valve that had a lot of accumulated minerals, and it worked fine when I soaked paper towels in the stuff and wrapped them around the area I wanted to treat. This valve, though, doesn't look corroded. Maybe an automotive anti-seize product would work.

I checked out the automotive anti-seize stuff, but found out it has to be used before the parts are assembled, not after the fact. I tried Liquid Wrench, but no luck. I might have to shut off the main water valve, not an ideal approach.

Loosen the packing nut 1/2 turn, tap the end of the stem sharply with a small hammer a couple of times, then try turning with a vise grips where the handle attaches. Do not mar the smooth shaft or the packing will leak. You would be better off turning off the main valve and replacing this one with a 1/4 turn style.
    "Lead by Example"

Do you have an opinion about piggyback supply valves?

If you mean piggyback - just put another shutoff vavle on after the current one - absolutely. I did that more then a few times on my 20 unit 99 year old apartment building and it is the simplest and most practicable solution to the problem.

I would waste no time with a stubborn shut off valve. Any new one (multi turn or 1/4 turn) will do.