+ Reply to Thread

Default Best way to cut glass tile

We have a house built in 1950 and it has 18" x 18" glass tile on the bathroom walls. We removed some of the tiles to repair the walls from where the grout was leaking and to replace the tub with a modern one. Because the new tub is a difference height and the plumbing is now in a different spot, I need to cut the existing tiles so that they can go back onto the wall and be reused. What is the best way to cut the tiles? I'm considering taking them to a glass cutting shop. Thanks.

Default Re: Best way to cut glass tile

Your idea is an excellent one. That is the same way we cut our glass tiles. We made a youtube videoshowing the process. Make the tiles have a 1/8" joint between the bottom of the tiles and the surface of the tub.

Be sure to use white glass setting thinset, such as the new stuff from Custom or Laticrete. Where the tub meets the glass tiles, use only 100% silicone to seal that joint.

To start the process, you must use something to go ahead and apply some pressure to the piece of glass that you want to cut. You will do this as you pull the glass cutter on the surface. When you are cutting glass, you want to make sure that the cut is smooth. If you hear nothing, you will know that you are doing a pretty good job. One of the most common things that you will want to avoid is pushing way too hard. Under this scenario, your glass will break or even worse, it will burst. You want to make sure that you have a uniform cut throughout the entire cut. If only one part of the glass is cut well, then you will not achieve a good glass score.

I also checked that on Youtube thats a great video to help uou on the topic, thanks for suggestion

Your idea is an excellent one. That is the same way we cut our glass tiles. We made a youtube videoshowing the process. Make the tiles have a 1/8" joint between the bottom of the tiles and the surface of the tub.

Be sure to use white glass setting thinset, such as the new stuff from Custom or Laticrete. Where the tub meets the glass tiles, use only 100% silicone to seal that joint.

Clink on the link in the above thread #2 to see how its done.

Thanks everyone - I'll check out the video and the thinset.