+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Paint Shading causing "different color"

Hello!

I have a small, but annoying, problem. I painted the trim and between the wall/ceiling first using a regular Purdy brush and then a roller to finish the job. Painting was done over drywall that was painted white before, new color is blue.

When the light hits the wall at certain times I notice what can only describe as a "more solid paint line" where the trim/ceiling are and a "lighter" color where I used the roller.

I plan on rolling the walls again, getting closer to the solid trim line but are there any methods that I can use initially to prevent this from happening? Thanks!

Default Re: Paint Shading causing "different color"

It all depends. Two coat are often necessary to completely cover a wall.
    A different nap roller will put more paint down with one coat.
    What also happens if you try to do it in one coat is that the overlap between cutting in and the roller ends up being essentially 2 coats, hence the darker color.
    Thanks for the question, I haven't had a chance to use hence in a sentence for a while.

Latex paint shrinks when it dries.

When painting flat drywall, we prefer a 3/8" nap roller for a smoother finish than a thicker nap. 2 coats minimum, depending on the color and the base paint used.

trcpog,

A couple things might help:

- Prime the entire wall. A wall that is unevenly sealed can cause the paint to dry unevenly, both as to color and sheen.

- Tint your primer to the approximate color of your finish coat. A white primer will reflect light back through the paint film, affecting its appearance.

- Avoid the painting technique of painting the edges first and then rolling the main body of the wall. When you do this, the edges have set or dried by the time you get back to them. This causes a douple coating of the edges. It also can cause a different texture to be left at the edges. This texture catches the light differently than the wall generally.

When painting, the goal is to MAINTAIN A WET EDGE. You never want to roll or brush back into an area of paint which has already begun to set!

- One coat of primer does not adequately seal new drywall. Also, PVA drywall sealer is not the best sealer. Consider using a premium 100% acrylic primer, especially if your finish coat is to have a higher sheen finish, such as satin or semi-gloss. Semi-gloss will usually require two finish coats to hold its sheen.

-Use dense, high quality roller covers. I generally used 1/2 inch for flat paints, 3/8ths for higher sheens. High gloss paints look better with 1/4 inch covers.

Some good advise here but one thing I don't see is the paint. What are you using? Sherwin Williams Promar 200 has this problem a lot. It usually happens with darker colors. Off whites are usually ok. If you use a good product and apply 2 good solid uniform coats you should eliminate this problem. You can cut an entire room and go back and roll after if your using qaulity products such as Ben Moore Regal line, Sherwin Williams Superpaint or similar quality. You won't find these quality paints in Home Depot. Good luck.

The cutting in of an entire room before rolling is NEVER a good practice! You can get away with it with light colored, low or flat sheen paints, and ironically, with low quality "contractor" grade paints which have cheap caulky pigments. This is precisely why contractors love it - it touchs up easily.

Your best defense against the edge shadowing, which was the original poster's complaint, is to prime the walls and keep a wet edge when painting. If you paint over a low quality, porous paint without priming, you will get uneven sheen and shading, regardless of the premium quality of the new paint. The higher the sheen and deeper the color of the new paint, the more the likelyhood of problems.

Unfortunately, some posters here continue to live by past biases against the paints which are available at Home Depot, inspite of the fact that Behr consistantly gets top rating from Consumer Reports Magazine. Behr Ultra got top rating in every sheen class of interior paint. This long time painting contractor, and former user of Benjamin Moore products, has been using Ultra Eggshell in his own home and can not praise it too highly! It also costs about a third less than the list price of Moore's equivalent product.