+ Reply to Thread

Default bath remodel nightmare help

I have a old home built in the 40"s. my bathroom fairly good size 8x10 .my problem is a large window right in the middle of the bath tub /shower combo, and if that isnt bad enough the home has dustpan dormers so the tub is installed between one partial wall /dormer and a wall. please advise me on the best application for my size room claw foot tub is an option but with two teenagers at home a shower is a must ,please help

Default Re: bath remodel nightmare help

can you post a picture of the bathroom?

as for the window in the tub....those are always a nightmare....a few options. if you insist on keeping a window for light and air, you can add an awning window approximately the size of just the top half of a normal double hung window. keep it up high to avoid directly getting hit with water. make sure you get vinyl on the interior and exterior of the window. then you can trim it out with tile or azek and you won't have to worry about water leaks and the window getting destroyed. perferable option is to close up the window in the tub and you eliminate all future problems. you can always add a window somewhere else in the bathroom if you have the wall space.

With the proper preparation, you can create a waterproofed shower in that area.

To handle the window, swapping it out for a solid vinyl window will make the best waterproofing you can get. Attach the wall waterproofing system to the window for a continuous layer. In this case with the angled surfaces and window, a surface applied waterproofing membrane such as Kerdi or Hydroban are in order.

The John Bridge Tile Forum will be your best source for information on this project as the tile Pro's there are highly skilled in all things tile and shower related.

You need to make certain rearrangements as I think that this present posture is not much looking suitable and attractive.