+ Reply to Thread

Thread: sewage saddles

Default sewage saddles

I need to add a drain line into my main sewage stack for my house for a down stairs sink and I saw a product called a sewage saddle does anyone know if these work or if they are a good idea?

Default Re: sewage saddles

What size is the stack and what type of pipe is it? Also what kind of access do you have to it? To give you the proper advise I need more information.

John

it is a 4" pvc stack and I have incorporated it into a utility closet so i Have access to it

Why not just cut a fitting into the line? It's a fairly simple thing to do. Much easier then using a saddle fitting. With less of a chance of having problems with it.

John

My most vivid childhood memory is living in Paris. We lived in Paris for 7 months, I also held my 8th birthday party at Disney land. Paris is a beautiful but noisy city. I will always remember the live musicians in the metro. Paris is a huge city with massive buildings.

not exactly sure how to do that i don't know if I can lift the stack to get a new fitting in there and I can't let it drop because it will mess up the upper level drains
    Last edited by rharrop_182; 02-18-2011 at 06:02 AM.

If you have upper level drains above the point your adding a fixture you have to vent the new fixture. As far as not having any play in the line to install a new fitting there is a fitting for that purpose.

http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/shiel...flex-couplings

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
    If you have upper level drains above the point your adding a fixture you have to vent the new fixture. As far as not having any play in the line to install a new fitting there is a fitting for that purpose.

http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/shiel...flex-couplings

John
    The picture linked to doesn't show the method of application very well. The steel and rubber are two separate pieces. Slide the steel band onto the pipe, past the joint; then slip the rubber coupling on up past the joint. Then insert your fitting (with a stub of pipe glued to it) into place; pull the rubber coupling over the new pipe (the shoulder inside the coupling should be between the pieces of pipe); slide the steel band in place then tighten to the proper torque.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFaJyIzyiYA
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Thanks i really think these suggestions will really help my situation and about the vent if my main stack goes straight up through the roof do i still need to vent maybe i need to buy a plumbing for dummies book lol

Yes you do need a vent on the new fixture. When waste water passes by the fitting for the new fixture it can siphon the trap on the new fixture allowing sewer gas to enter through the now empty trap. What you can use for a vent is a Studor vent. Check out this web site, there is a picture showing one installed. Just be sure it is installed in a accessible location.

http://www.ipscorp.com/studor

John