+ Reply to Thread

Question HELP need painting advice

I have a room painted with "sanded paint". I want to remove or cover up the sand- which is in blotches-- fairly sparse in some areas and heavy sand in others. Is there a way to paint over this with some process- to cover the sand? It is almost impossible to remove in heavy areas.

Default Re: HELP need painting advice

You could use a veneer plaster and skim the wall surface smooth no sanding would be required.
    Some products that could be used.
    Variance - Texston - American Plaster - Plaster Max - Master of Plaster.
    My prefference is Master of Plaster but the others will work and a sales center of one maybe closer to your location.
    All of the above are HIGH DOLLAR cost.
    Some others will recommend drywall compounds I stay away from it, My choice based on achived finished product.

Ciperooney,

Sounds like you are the victim of a bad sand finish job. It is difficult to get a sand finish to go on evenly. As you see, it tends to clump up.

HankBauer gave you one alternative. He is probably correct that it is pricier than you would wish. If you can afford the expense, it might be the way to go.

There are a couple of other alternatives:

You could opt to spray on a heavier orange peel type texture right over the old texture. It is a little messy, but it is not brain surgery. The equipment can be rent for less than $100 per day. The actual spraying will take only minutes after masking off all those areas where you don't want the spray to hit or fall. The spray liquid is relatively inexpensive.

A second possibility is to trowel on a skim coat of drywall mud over the entire wall surface. Again, this is not brain surgery, but it is very messy and requires extensive sanding. The mud is very inexpensive. It will take two light coats to completely cover the sand. Your spackle knives will tend to "chatter" over the sand texture on the first coat. After sanding with a block sander, you will then prime the entire surface and paint.

The sanding is the messy part. The dust goes all over. You will want to turn off the furnace or air-conditioner. A small fan drawing air out of a window will help the dust from spreading all over. Of course, d**** plastic over the doorway.

You can achieve the drywall mud method a little easier with far less sanding, if you notch it up to 3 or 4 coats but use far less per coat. It also helps to thind down the premixed drywall mud more with each successive layer. Between layers you'll have to remove the trowel marks, but that's about all the sanding you'll have to do.

First layer horizontal, second layer vertical, third layer on a diagonal. By the 4th layer you're just filling in missed spots. The trick to good drywall work is to apply less drywall mud on each pass than most DIYers use. Its far easier to add more than sand it away.

Thanks for the feedback so far. One paint store recommended 2 coats of primer with 1/2 inch roller followed by 2 coats of final color also with 1/2" roller saying that would fill in around the sand. Any added advice is appreciated. Thanks

ummmm maybe if you use really thick paint. But you'd be swapping a patchy rough paint job for an evenly spread out rough paint job.

If you are not going to skim coat.
    You may want to look at this tool.
    Angle Plane it is used by the plastering trade to knock down high and rough spots before finish is applied.
    This tool will shave off the areas of exposed sand.
    You will find it at plaster supply warehouses or in one of the booklets like Tool Pro.

I would have to sidewith HoustonRemodeler, 4 coats of paint would cover a bad sand job with what would end up looking like a bad paint job. Neither am I sure that it would end up actually covering the sand.